VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression secondary to chronic knee pain

Rate this question

Hucast21

Question

Hello everyone.

I am already service-connected for my knees but lately I‘ve been having suicidal ideations due to chronic knee pain. My VA Progress Notes state my chronic knee pain contributes to my depression.

Some comments left by the VA psychiatrist:

- Currently, his chronic knee pain has flared up significantly and this has contributed to recent worsening of his mood. 

- He notes increased depression this past month because of increased knee pain. States that it has been making him more depressed and irritable. He hasn't been able to sleep well because he wakes up from pain. 

- Over the weekend had suicidal ideation activated by knee pain.

I just want to know if this is good enough for secondary service-connection or if I need more evidence. 

Also, I do not wish chronic pain on anyone. My provider scheduled an ortho referral at the end of November. I am also scheduled for CBT to deal with the chronic knee pain. 

Thank you.

4 answers to this question

29 minutes ago, Hucast21 said:

I just want to know if this is good enough for secondary service-connection or if I need more evidence.

I don't know for certain, but to the best of my memory I had a doctor state my depression was coming from my chronic pain. That is how I got it for secondary service connection. I know what you  mean about not wishing chronic pain on anyone, though I think there maybe a couple of people that I don't care for that I could wish it on. 

I would submit it with what you have. Mine was granted the same way. Secondary to knee. They sent me to a C&P and apparently the doc opined in my favor and was granted. Took about 3 months from start to finish. Im waiting for my CFile to arrive in mail to finally see what was actually said, a year ago now lol.

Edited by Foxhound6