VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bilateral Foot Issues: Calculations

Rate this question

ASU_0331

Question

Can someone explain to me the bilateral factor, specifically when it comes to such issues as pes planus and plantar fasciitis?

If you have pronounced bilateral pes planus, they give you 50%.  Does a bilateral factor apply or is it already included into the 50% award?  The same question with the new rating criteria for plantar fasciitis; when it affects both feet and not responsive to treatment, they give you 30%.

So if I understand it correctly, you can have bilateral pes planus and get just a straight 50%, no bilateral factor added.  The same if you have bilateral plantar fasciitis.  The only time you would then get a bilateral factor is if you have BOTH bilateral pes planus and bilateral plantar fasciitis.  Then it would go in order of severity, in this case 50% for the pes planus + 30% for plantar fasciitis = VA math + 10% bilateral factor = Total disability rating?

Thanks for replies all.    

bilateral applies to combined rating of extremities affected. I have bilateral radiculopathy 20%, so I am 20% left, 20% right (basically 20%), and then .20 for bilateral factor (bilat is 10% of the bilateral condition added back to it) 20% + .20 = 22%. Not much of a difference, but it IS if that .20 is what gets you over 5 or above since VA ratings are based on the nearest 10%.

https://www.hillandponton.com/bilateral-factor-va-disability-rating/

https://www.hillandponton.com/va-disability-calculator/

26 minutes ago, brokensoldier244th said:

bilateral applies to combined rating of extremities affected. I have bilateral radiculopathy 20%, so I am 20% left, 20% right (basically 20%), and then .20 for bilateral factor (bilat is 10% of the bilateral condition added back to it) 20% + .20 = 22%. Not much of a difference, but it IS if that .20 is what gets you over 5 or above since VA ratings are based on the nearest 10%.

https://www.hillandponton.com/bilateral-factor-va-disability-rating/

https://www.hillandponton.com/va-disability-calculator/

So if I understand you correctly, pronounced bilateral pes planus is 50%.  This would mean the left foot is 50% and the right foot is 50%.  Bilateral factor of 10% makes this 55% with a push to 60%?

You get a straight 50%.  There is no addition/division, etc.    Both feet are covered at 50%.  If was only one foot, then 30%.  In this instance you loose.  Technically you should get 30 each, which would be 30-30=51=5.1 (bilateral factor) = 56.1 rounded up (yes, for bilat's) to = 57.  

I had right foot plantar rated at 10%.  Then got my left foot rated, and they combined the two at only 10%.  No bilateral factor involved. 

I loose.

Hamslice

5276    Flatfoot, acquired:

Pronounced; marked pronation, extreme tenderness of plantar

surfaces of the feet,  marked inward displacement and severe spasm

of the tendo achillis on manipulation, not improved by orthopedic

shoes or appliances:

Bilateral..................................................................................... 50                                              

Unilateral ................................................................................. 30

However, I will add, it's still a bilateral disability, so, in this case if you had a knee disability, then the 50 would be added to the list of bilat's.  Basically, the four extremities, arms and legs.

I have, feet, ankle, ankle, shoulder, shoulder, elbow, as my 5 bilateral disabilities.  My bilateral plantar rating on both my feet count as just a 10.

Hamslice