• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lawyers

Rate this question

gdsnide

Question

When I filed for SS I was turned down

When I filed for SC I gor turned down

I got a Lawyer & got both claims approved ( Which were at different times)

Does anyone out there agree with getting a lawyer after a BVA denial or to go by yourself?

Seems to me government Agencies wake up when a Lawyer is introduced into the scenerio & get a lot more friendly

Sure U pay 25% but that's better than 100% of nothing plus U are SC.

Any opinions?

Thanks for reading post

GARY

Seems to me the VA is able to brush off a single Vet as oppossed to a Vet with a Lawyer in his corner

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I have been remanded to The Appeals Management Team by the BVA, If I receive a negative, I will definitely hire a lawyer.

He can half of the money, as said, I would have the other half.

As it is now, I have nothing!

Josephine

Just make sure any lawyer you hire has proven experience in Veterans law. If they do they'll know how to fight the VA at their own game. And isn't it terrible that we have to go at getting benefits we deserve in such a way that we have to fight the agency that is supposed to be our advocate. :)

Just make sure any lawyer you hire has proven experience in Veterans law. If they do they'll know how to fight the VA at their own game. And isn't it terrible that we have to go at getting benefits we deserve in such a way that we have to fight the agency that is supposed to be our advocate. :)

GOOD ADVICE!! Bear in mind that the BVA is staffed almost entirely with lawyers even though it isn't a formal court. The BVA is also your last chance to introduce new evidence for your claim into the system. The actual courts will only consider evidence already presented when they make their appellate decisions. At the BVA you are up against attorneys - professional law torquers. Don't go to a gunfight unarmed!

Of course, the above only pertains if we keep the ability to employ lawyers after we get the Decision Letter!!!!

Ralph

Guest rickb54
When I filed for SS I was turned down

When I filed for SC I gor turned down

I got a Lawyer & got both claims approved ( Which were at different times)

Does anyone out there agree with getting a lawyer after a BVA denial or to go by yourself?

Seems to me government Agencies wake up when a Lawyer is introduced into the scenerio & get a lot more friendly

Sure U pay 25% but that's better than 100% of nothing plus U are SC.

Any opinions?

Thanks for reading post

GARY

Seems to me the VA is able to brush off a single Vet as oppossed to a Vet with a Lawyer in his corner

A lawyer can't hurt but...

I guess it depends on the claims. I was awarded SSD without a Lawyer, I was also awarded my claims without lawyers, with one exception when one of my cases made it to the court of appeals the va wanted to settle, but would not settle with me, and recommeded I get a lawyer. I got a lawyer Pro Bono, she made one motion and I won my claim...

Most Veterans will not have to go to the BVA or Court of Veterans Appeals.

I agree that if you think you need a lawyer you should get one. Most motions you can file yourself, I did. If you present your own case the court rules are also relaxed a little.

Guest rickb54
rickb54,

Vets need to understand that the VA is NOT on your side.... even in the start of the claim process. I know you believe differently and I can respect that, BUT..... please do NOT tell other Vets that the VA is on a Vet's side. The VA is NOT for a Vet. Its up to the Vet to get what is coming to him/her. A lawyer will help, but cannot be used until the US Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims (CAVC). I don't think a lawyer can used at the BVA, or earlier in the claim process..... unless the law is changed. By the time it gets to the CAVC, it's too late, unless there was a major VA mistake made.

The VA is your enemy, not your partner nor your commrade. ITS A WAR.... and the Vet looses, way too often.

I use IMOs.... as FIRE-POWER..... just like RVN, 1968, we killed the enemy with the power of our thrust.

1968 Army Vet.. Let us clear the air once and for all.

I can't help but think your response to my post is another attempt to instigate a flame war.

First, I never said the va is on the veterans side. Secondly, I never addressed when a Lawyer could be used. So why do you address me as if I had?

Now, please Do no tell me what I need to understand, do not tell me how to or what to advise other veterans.

I do not lie to veterans and I do not dream up ways to get over on the va.

I tell it like it is and I'm not going to sugar coat it.

People using this board are adults they need and want to know the truth

Your telling veterans all the time that he va is out to srew them seves no useful purpose, they want answers to thier problems not slogans.

If you have a problem with my advice.. then ignore it otherwise STOP trying to instigate more problems.

Have a good day.

Edited by rickb54

• HadIt.com Elder

Would it blow your mind if I think that Rick and Army are both right. The facts are the VA is not just one way. It took me over 6 years to get 100% and I felt like I was at War. At the same time I have found the VA to be helpful so we have a paradox.

My Sainted wife who has stood by me through all asked me why I got angry and the truth is sometimes just the tone of voice or the demeanor can make me angry and it is not what was said either.

MT Skull and old Poster's wife Kimmie used to warn me that restraint of pen and tongue would help me sleep better at night.