Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Secondary Claim-depression Due To Chronic Pain

Rate this question

Sherry

Question

Hi all,

I am looking for information on if anybody has filed a secondary claim for depression due to chronic pain. My worst SC disability is Fibromyalgia followed by interstillial cystitis and tarsal tunnel, plantar fasciitis. Also the VA is running more tests to rule out Lupus. Ever since I was first in the miltary 10 years ago, they suspected Lupus but really did not follow up on it. ANA is really high along with other clinical signs. Anyways back on topic...Do you think the VA would say well the depression is a symptom of fibromyalgia, so you cannot be awarded SC for as a secondary condition. I have read where IBS has been service connected secondary to Fibromyalgia even though it is listed in the symptom chart. It has been noted in my records that I have PTSD and depression. Lost my claim for PTSD..did not follow up on my first denial. I have been reading the boards for awile now and think everybody is great and helpful! Thanks for any advice anyone could offer.

:)

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks for the replies. So if I send an informal claim on Monday would that be okay? How should I word it? I used to have a VSO but moved out of the area. I just want to make sure I'm doing this right. Also my other question is about opening a new claim. Will the C&P examiner examine all my disabilties or will they keep it strictly to the depression and causes? Thanks again.

any help to you Sherry?

Allan

Source: http://search.vetapp.gov/isysquery/3a3e2162-09a8-431a-b232-202f706e5992/1/doc/

90-1564

HOAG.564

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Search Terms: FIBROMYALGIA CHRONIC PAIN DEPRESSION SECONDARY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UNITED STATES COURT OF VETERANS APPEALS

No. 90-1564

Brian D. Hoag, Appellant,

v.

Jesse Brown,

Secretary of Veterans Affairs, Appellee.

On Appellee's Motion for Remand

(Decided February 18, 1993 )

Well first of all I was awarded 20% disability for osteoarthritis of the left knee April 2004. I appeal that rating and also for EED and filed for TDIU, claim for ankles, depression, right knee and fibromyalia. Well bout 6 months later all was denied. Did formal appeal and County SO told me drop the claims and just appeal the higher rating, instead I dropped him. Got DAV as SO rep. The BVA remanded everything back to VARO and finally in July 2006 they set up 5 C&Ps . In December I was awarded 70% for depression due to pain caused by my knee, and 10% for each ankle, 10 for right knee which came to 80% total. 2 weeks later my DAV SO said that I would be awarded TDIU.

Sherry-Welcome aboard and do not hesitate to send the VA a letter stating that you want to have your depression service connectioned as seondary to your SC condition.

A VA supporting opinion will be great if you can get that-

the VA doc must offer complete medical rationale and if they would incorporate any good medical treatise or abstract that you could find on the net, that would help too.

An IMO is always a good idea too although can be costly-

I am wondering- is the doc who might help a shrink treating the depression or is this the fibro doctor?

Are you employed?

Has any doctor ever told you that your SC disabilities prevent you from working?

If so I suggest you apply for TDIU- form attached- tell them of the side affects of your meds and anithing else that supports fact that your SC disabilties render you unemployable.

TDIU_form.pdf

• HadIt.com Elder

Kenny

If you have five C&P exams set up you are bound to get SC'ed for something. That was a good outcome! Even if you just get 10% for most of the conditions it adds up in the end. I have five 10% ratings and a 70% rating. I expect to get a few more here soon for complications of DMII.

any help to you Sherry?

Allan

Source: http://search.vetapp.gov/isysquery/3a3e2162-09a8-431a-b232-202f706e5992/1/doc/

90-1564

HOAG.564

Search Terms: FIBROMYALGIA CHRONIC PAIN DEPRESSION SECONDARY

UNITED STATES COURT OF VETERANS APPEALS

No. 90-1564

Brian D. Hoag, Appellant,

v.

Jesse Brown,

Secretary of Veterans Affairs, Appellee.

On Appellee's Motion for Remand

(Decided February 18, 1993 )

Thank-you for this I didn't know this site existed.