Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Granted service connection for hemorrhagic stroke

Rate this question

lee.edwards

Question

Greetings! I was recently granted service connection for hemorrhagic stroke by the BVA.  My appeal was received Mar 2010 and granted 21 Apr 2021. How will that granted service connected claim be rated?
One Granted: Service connection hemorrhagic stroke
Three Remanded:
-Service connections Degenerative Arthritis
-Service connection Bunion
-Increased rating Diabetes
Two Denied:
-Increased rating -Lumbosacral or cervical stroke
- Increased rating, Sciatic nerve paralysis

Best Regards
Chiefhouse00

• HadIt.com Elder

Lee.edwards If you didn't get a MH eval as part of your eval for residuals, you should get a input from your GP that ypu should be eval for anxiety/depression. Memory loss from strokes are a common result from TIA. if you can't get it from your GP, go outside and get a dbq filled out and go back to the board if you do have issues. The 10% isn't bad but they are not exploring any residuals that could also be there. MH for anxiet would be rated seperately from the TIA.

Greetings 

Thanks for sharing! It appears that none of my TIA conditions were considered that were mentioned in my BVA grant decision letter. After ten years of waiting 10% is better than a denial. 

Best Regards 

Chiefhouse00 

On 4/27/2021 at 3:43 AM, lee.edwards said:
Greetings! I was recently granted service connection for hemorrhagic stroke by the BVA.  My appeal was received Mar 2010 and granted 21 Apr 2021. How will that granted service connected claim be rated?
One Granted: Service connection hemorrhagic stroke
Three Remanded:
-Service connections Degenerative Arthritis
-Service connection Bunion
-Increased rating Diabetes
Two Denied:
-Increased rating -Lumbosacral or cervical stroke
- Increased rating, Sciatic nerve paralysis

Best Regards
Chiefhouse00

Hello, congratulations!! A big win! how did they grant you service connected for the strokes? My hubby has had 7 the 6th left him legally blind and no rating still. They also have denied service connection for the glass in his lung (he also has COPD) from the engine room in the ship. Thank you for reading. 

Many TIAs are very mild-but if the cause is not treated as to what has caused them , they can indicate ,if properly diagnosed as TIAs) that a future major stroke will occur some cases. 

Farstar you will get more input if you start a new topic here.

We don't know why they denied- but maybe there was no service nexus or link, 

or maybe, as in my husband's case, his HBP was poorly treated. It was a very low dosage and, at the same time the VA told him he had sinus problems and  prescribed ,for years, a high level of sudafed, for a sinus condition ,that I proved he never even had,

but my husband's TIAs and major stroke were caused by the VA.

We have no idea what caused your husband's stroke.

An ischemic stroke can come from diabetes, or ischemic heart disease, and from many  other factors.

Obviously the sudafed medication, in my husband;s case, contraindicated the HBP meds they gave him. Wrong medications can cause big problems.

Hemorrhagic strokes also have many causes .

If you can scan and attach his denial here, maybe we can help more.

Cover C file #, name, address, prior to scanning it.

• HadIt.com Elder

Farstar Welcome to Hadit. Berta is correct; there can be numerous ways to connect strokes/TIA's.. I also recommend starting up a new post If your husband has any already service-connected disabilities, list them also. One way is to s-c to heart disease and to htn. Many other disabilities, called secondary, can also be linked if you get the TIA's approved, such as blindness, mobility, mental health, to name just a few. In order to help you we need more facts. When was he in, Were did he serve, more about his respiratory issues, etc.

Thank you for the input and I will start another thread. But real quick, we haven’t tried to get his strokes service connected but his COPD we have tried and it was denied, even though he had glass in his lungs etc… I’ll create a née topic though to keep it easy to follow. Thank you so much.