• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SMC Aid and Attendance.

Rate this question

Carlos C. Parscal

Question

2 answers to this question

Hi Carlos,

They are 2 different different things.  Are you getting pension now?  A&A would be considered an increase.  I haven't had much to do with the pension side of the house.  With disability compensation, A&A is an increased rate beyond the compensation associated with a particular rating.  Have you applied for or been awarded A&A?

Good luck,

Phury

Carlos:

1.  "Pension" (including A and A pension) is a "needs based" benefit, if you served during time of war, and also mean income qualifications.  If you have too much income, you can not get pension (including A and A with pension).  For "pension" you need not prove the disability is service connected, you just have to show you served in war time, and you have low income.  

2.  "Compensation" (SMC L, if you are awarded at the lowest A and A level), is Service connected, and not needs based.  

You can not get both pension and compensation, but would be paid at whichever is the greater..compensation or pension.  

At one time, I was 40 percent compensation AND also eligible for and awarded pension.  

In this case, the pension was higher than the 40 percent, so I got paid for pension.  

Currently, the rate for pension (if single) would be 13,931 per year.  Let me explain.  Lets say you were on pension, and earned $3000 in a given year.  Take the pension (13931) and then subtract what you earned for the year (3000). 

That is a difference of $10931.  If you divide that number by 12 months in a year, then you would get $910 per month from VA to bring your income to the "minimum" of 13,391 (VA calls it the MAPR). 

https://www.va.gov/pension/veterans-pension-rates/