VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

As Always You All Amaze Me

Rate this question

sixthscents

Question

Again and again in the time I have been using Hadit I am amazed at the depth and breadth of knowlege available from you folks. Again, and again I learn daily how to better help develop and "perfect" claims from you alls examples. The fact that their is a resource like Hadit, and the people available who are so knowlegable... amazes me.

I grow used to it, and almost take it for granted until something pops up that answers a question I am struggling with now. So, thank you.

Now - some advice for new posters -

1. Ask specific questions if possible.

2. Provide as much information about your claim as possible - sometimes we might feel embarassed about saying something in front of others.. well dont, you dont know us, we dont know you and we aint here to judge nobody

3. Try to understand that we all understand that there is both an emotional, and a practical side to every single persons claim... and we will try to be as careful of your feelings as we can while still addressing the issues (except for you Terry... we get to pick on you...)

4. There is ALWAYS a financial issue involved, sometimes critically like peoples houses are getting repo'd etc. Thats something you need to make clear if so because thats also part of a claim and steps CAN be taken to try and expedite a claim if there is REAL need.

5. Keep an open mind, and try to research the law guiding the VA like CFR 38, and M21-1. We are here to help, but the best way to ensure your claim is handled correctly is to know the WHAT and the WHY... and you will feel much more gratified if YOUR efforts pay off in a check for 30 or 40 grand... yes that does happen, a vet I know got one 2 weeks ago, and her spouse worked her buns off learning the process and developing his claim.

6. Keep your spouse involved... often you ARE the spouse and the vet simply cannot do this stuff... that happens ALL the time and we really do understand.. but they need to know what is going on

7. Understand that you are in this for the long haul... the normal time for a claim to be completed is 12-18 months, some go even longer. Not that you wont get some money and decisions prior to that, you may, but that is the normal time that it takes for a claim to reach its final determination... and again, sometimes it is longer.

8. Get an "attitude", because without it... it can get real discouraging at times. In the end, generally it is well worth it. It just takes a lot of time and paperwork and research to get it done.

Anyway... some of Bobs words to the wise....

(and Terry... we still get to pick on you... a little anyway, but hey... I'm fair game too!)

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Sixth,

By Item #8, get an attitude, I think you mean get a good, positive attitude, as in "I can do this", "Iwill do this" right? People, DO NOT MAKE the same mistake I made many, many years ago and develop a hostile, angry attitude towards the VA. It will defeat you in the end. VA employees are many and you are only one and they will slowly beat you down, and they will win.

If they make you angry, ask to be excused and go outside and vent, do not blow up on them as if you do, you will lose in the end. They can keep giving you the run around for years and make your claim last decades like they did me. Think of venting anger on them as money out of your pocket, now and forever. I know the us PTSD'ers have a tough problem with anger and it just busts out of us at times, but you just can't do it if you want to win.

Excellent advice, Sixth, thank you for your service to veterans.

jaz

Jazona,

You interpreted my intent correctly. I am sorry I was not clear, or made it ambiguous. I NEVER advocate causing a scene at the VAMC or the VARO. Calm cool and collected is the way to go. I duid mean... stay the course, get a winning attitude that now matter what, you can handle the paperwork, the denials, the NOD's and the other daily burdens because you will succeed. Thank you for clarifying this.

Again and again in the time I have been using Hadit I am amazed at the depth and breadth of knowlege available from you folks. Again, and again I learn daily how to better help develop and "perfect" claims from you alls examples. The fact that their is a resource like Hadit, and the people available who are so knowlegable... amazes me.

I grow used to it, and almost take it for granted until something pops up that answers a question I am struggling with now. So, thank you.

Now - some advice for new posters -

1. Ask specific questions if possible.

2. Provide as much information about your claim as possible - sometimes we might feel embarassed about saying something in front of others.. well dont, you dont know us, we dont know you and we aint here to judge nobody

3. Try to understand that we all understand that there is both an emotional, and a practical side to every single persons claim... and we will try to be as careful of your feelings as we can while still addressing the issues (except for you Terry... we get to pick on you...)

4. There is ALWAYS a financial issue involved, sometimes critically like peoples houses are getting repo'd etc. Thats something you need to make clear if so because thats also part of a claim and steps CAN be taken to try and expedite a claim if there is REAL need.

5. Keep an open mind, and try to research the law guiding the VA like CFR 38, and M21-1. We are here to help, but the best way to ensure your claim is handled correctly is to know the WHAT and the WHY... and you will feel much more gratified if YOUR efforts pay off in a check for 30 or 40 grand... yes that does happen, a vet I know got one 2 weeks ago, and her spouse worked her buns off learning the process and developing his claim.

6. Keep your spouse involved... often you ARE the spouse and the vet simply cannot do this stuff... that happens ALL the time and we really do understand.. but they need to know what is going on

7. Understand that you are in this for the long haul... the normal time for a claim to be completed is 12-18 months, some go even longer. Not that you wont get some money and decisions prior to that, you may, but that is the normal time that it takes for a claim to reach its final determination... and again, sometimes it is longer.

8. Get an "attitude", because without it... it can get real discouraging at times. In the end, generally it is well worth it. It just takes a lot of time and paperwork and research to get it done.

Anyway... some of Bobs words to the wise....

(and Terry... we still get to pick on you... a little anyway, but hey... I'm fair game too!)

Stretch....I agree 100%. Before I found HADIT I was like a Lamb in the woods & the VA was the BIG BAD WOLF....Since finding HADIT I have been comped at 100%, of course, I had to use an Attorney. Seems thats all the VA & SS listen to....I read where some Vets succed on their own but check the records at the BVA site & see the percentage of VETS that lose as opossed to the ones that win who employ a Lawyer. Sure he gets part of the money but one gets comped & gets 75-80% of back pay.

Terry Higgins. The most picked on veteran in the world :huh:

At least on hadit we have the right to defend ourselfs. I actully admire those who challenge my opnions here on hadit. Im known for being the best legal mind here on hadit and it must be very intimidating for all who challenge my brillance :D

Terry Higgins

Terry...U gave me some good advise on Lawers & where to find a good one & I followed what U said & U were right so U have my vote for knowing what your doing. NA, can't bring myself to HATE U. lol