Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Buddy Letter

Rate this question

J Savage

Question

Hi all,

Without getting too deep into things as it will likely detract from my question, I'm a 40% SC Vet and currently seeking review of my SC Bilat Pes planus and Lumbar Spine issues and have filed a new claim for PTSD. I've reached out to a buddy regarding the PTSD claim, seeking a buddy letter. Now, this guy is the only guy I could find that I served with over 20 years ago and he's a little paranoid. He's really not comfortable with listing his address, phone number, or email address on anything "the government" is going to get. Now I'm not even sure it's worth it or if it will have any probative value if he doesn't provide supply his contact info.

Any thoughts? I mean, does the VA even follow up on these letters? Should I include it because it won't hurt or is it just a waste?

Thanks in advance!

J Savage

I appreciate the assist. I reckon I'll let it ride as it is. I did submit numerous documents I did have showing my unit was directly engaged, I was assigned at that time, and the NCOERs that reflect I was involved in the operation. Nothing actually states I was there that day but we'll see how it goes.

It seems the VA asked more info (in letter form) on a buddy letter I submitted.  They wanted his address and phone number.  I wasn't comfortable giving out his info.  I could tell he was a bit hesitant when I talked to him about it.  We both declined.  I got some things approved and others denied that involved the incident.  Not sure it helped or not.  In my C-file, they did question the buddy letter in the decision making part.  Something like 'if they statement by Sgt. #### is to be believed'.  That part of the claim got approved.  The other part that got denied didn't mention any buddy letter.  Personally, I probably didn't need it.  The incident was in my medical record.  I just thought it would help.

A Buddy letter should be prepared as an eye witness account. A Strong buddy letter can turn a  denial around.

If the Buddy is unwilling to give the VA details and their contact info, it will not be helpful at all.

The Buddy should tell the VA that they were in your unit ,same time and place, of the incident they witnessed. They should give any details at all that they recall.

They need to give the VA their contact info if the VA needs a little more info from them.

One Buddy  ( re: claims from 4 vets in the same unit) sent the other vets a copy of his DD 214 and an copy of his PTSD award letter whereby the event was shown to have been verified by JSRRC and caused his PTSD. This was a situation my daughter helped with. They all got their PTSD service connected and also got  additional awards on their DD 215 ( I gave them the DD 149 form link)and one of them got the Distinquished Flying Cross. I already told the whole story here here ago when someone contacted me via hadit for help. My daughter, a veteran, was the only person I knew who could do what they needed someone to do. 

Buddys are far easier to find these days then they used to be. I recommend finding Unit web sites that often have reunion rosters and contact info for some unit members. TWS is also a good site.

(TWS Together We Served)

Edited by Berta

It sounds like YOUR buddy should also be applying, as he sounds like classic paranoia of the government!  

The worst part:  His paranoia of the government may well be justified from what we know.  

Even Regan said the most dangerous words in the English language are "Im with the government and here to help you."

As an example, pensioners and shareholder of 2 formerly giant companies, FNMA and FMCC (aka Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac) have had their eintire pensions (dividends) stolen BY the government since 2008 in something the government calls the "Net Worth Sweep".   Essentially, the government said Fannie and Freddie were "in a death spiral" (not true, this so called death spiral was because the Government cooked the books, making them look like they were in a death spiral.  The following quarter, after the cship, FNMA earned a world record 54 billion in a single quarter.  The government "swept up" that entire 54 billion into the US Treasury, along with other profits from the GSE twins (fannie and freddie ) since 2012.  

This is important because if the government can confiscate this company, they can confiscate your money and all other Americans..shareholders, and other pensions.  

It made some billionaires, too, mad enough they sued the government and its finally reached the US Supreme Court awaiting a decision in Collins vs USA.   This theft makes Bernie Madoff, who stole about 45 billion seem like "small potatoes" as the total amount could be 300 billion or more.  The government "strong armed" all the former board members to resign so they could call it a "voluntary" conservotorship, while it was nothing even close.  3 Weeks prior to the government forcing the conservatorship, US Treasurer Hank Paulson told investors that Fannie and Freddie was in no need of a bailout.  

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Paulson. Scroll down to "notable statements" (by Paulson).

Hank Paulsen said "the first things investors will hear is their heads hitting the floor", suggesting pensioners and shareholders would be led to slaughter like pigs.  This was disclosed in 11,000 documents the government spent years trying to hide "even tho" the court ordered them released.  They claimed it was for "national security", but the courts are viewing it as a coverup to the governments illegal taking.  

Im watching Collins.  I was one of the investors who had dividends (pension) taken, against the US Constitution:

The Takings Clause of the Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution reads as follows: “Nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.”

Edited by broncovet