Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Interesting scenario - Claim in for TDIU but seems like about to get 100% Schedular

Rate this question

Foxhound6

Question

So, have been appealing TDIU claim and unsure as to why they keep denying (waiting to see on BBE) but I am about to file an almost sure thing secondary claim for my other knee. Based on my ROMS and things, it seems I should receive at least 30% if not higher. Between that rating and bilateral factor, that would put me at 100% schedular.

The thing I am wondering is: If I get the 100% schedular, does that now make my TDIU claim moot? It has been about a year since I started the TDIU claim so I would hate to lose back pay. But, I am unsure how this would work? Any one have this scenario before? I feel like its still a separate claim.

100% IU + P&T (90% Overall)

• 10% Left Knee Strain, Instability, Internal Derangement to include Shin Splint
    • 70% Depressive Disorder due to another medical condition, with major depressive-like episode with anxious distress
    • 40% Degenerative Spondylosis, Thoracolumbar Spine with Degenerative Disc Disease (Previously rated as Degenerative Disc Disease with Arthritis, Lumbar Spine)
    • 10% Radiculopathy - Lower Left Extremity - Sciatic
    • 10% Radiculopathy - Lower Right Extremity - Sciatic
    • 10% Left Knee Limitation of Flexion - Lower Left Extremity

B.S. Criminal Justice Administration, University of Phoenix, 2015

Foxhound, I hope you are correct but getting an additional 30%-40% will not get you to 100% scheduler. Your rating would have to get to at least 95% for the VA to round up to get you the 100% rating. Most veterans don't understand that in order for the VA to grant a 100% rating it is actually harder to hit, 10%-40% won't do it has to be 50% for a single condition or a combination of new disabilities to get a 90% veteran to 100% scheduler. 

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

1 minute ago, pacmanx1 said:

Foxhound, I hope you are correct but getting an additional 30%-40% will not get you to 100% scheduler. Your rating would have to get to at least 95% for the VA to round up to get you the 100% rating. Most veterans don't understand that in order for the VA to grant a 100% rating it is actually harder to hit, 10%-40% won't do it has to be 50% for a single condition or a combination of new disabilities to get a 90% veteran to 100% scheduler. 

I've done the math, with bilateral factor and 30%, I'd get 100 combined. Currently at an even 90

Edited by Foxhound6

• 10% Left Knee Strain, Instability, Internal Derangement to include Shin Splint
    • 70% Depressive Disorder due to another medical condition, with major depressive-like episode with anxious distress
    • 40% Degenerative Spondylosis, Thoracolumbar Spine with Degenerative Disc Disease (Previously rated as Degenerative Disc Disease with Arthritis, Lumbar Spine)

OK, great.

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

3 minutes ago, pacmanx1 said:

OK, great.

But you're right. It's much harder. Which is why I've been trying TDIU the last year lol. VA doesn't like to make it easy at any stage 🤣. I just happened to see the opportunity to at least get 100 and stable so going for it. Even if I lose tdiu retro...it'd be worth it. Rather have retro too but beggars can't be choosers

Edited by Foxhound6

1 minute ago, Foxhound6 said:

But you're right. It's much harder. Which is why I've been trying TDIU the last year lol. VA doesn't like to make it easy at any stage 🤣. I just happened to see the opportunity to at least get 100 and stable so going for it. Even if I lose tdiu retro...it'd be worth it. Rather have retro too but beggers can't be choosers

As @Broncosaid, If the VA grants you the 100% scheduler, you can still appeal the TDIU to get any retro. If you already meet the TDIU criteria, then you can appeal to the BVA.  The VA is famous for granting a veterans claim based on a C & P exam and fail to acknowledge the veteran's claim date.

16 minutes ago, brokensoldier244th said:

The 100% schedular is more of a benefit in some ways, though- if you take up a hobby that makes money you don't have to worry about looking over your shoulder and calculating yearly income amounts with scheduler. What should happen is that your 100%S would go back to whatever your TDIU date might have been- ultimately its the same claim in that the onset of the TDIU would basically = 100% anyway. The onset would be the same. 

This makes tons of sense. I hope that's how it plays out! And exactly, if for some odd reason I'm not back paid to that tdiu eed, I could still make income and not worry about it. Decent trade off if needed

Edited by Foxhound6