Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Ptsd Commission Finds Mistake!

Rate this topic

jessejames

• HadIt.com Elder

When I went in for my C&P exams for "mental" the first thing they asked me was "Are you working?". If you answer "Yes" to that question the chances of getting a rating over 50% are slim. Being rated 80% TDIU I would never tell the VA I wanted to work or could work, nor would I get a job unless by some freak of nature it would net me more than I get from SSDI, VA and my postal retirement. It really is a bummer being unemployable but think about the fact that your VA compensation will continue to be paid the rest of your life long after most are retired and trying to live off some pension and SSA. When I get my full pension from the Post Office when I hit 62 years old it will be less than 15,000.00 dollars a year before taxes. Financially speaking, I am far better off to be on VA compensation than I would have been to continue working. If I could have, however, I probably would have continued to work. I think we are programed like that. You know many if not most workers are either losing their pensions or having them reduced. We get a COLA and no reduction (so far).

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

FitBuddy:

I am 100% PTSD, P&T, Schedular, 40% + 10% for Physical Injuries and I was told by the VA that I could work too.

However ... several took me to the side and told me .... NOOO ... do NOT do it.

I also agree with Flip too ... a 100% PTSDer, P&T ... would not make it very long on a job anyway.

Personally ... I think that you are playing with .. FIRE .. especially with the VA on a "Cutting Binge" to save money now.

I think that Jay mentioned going after those additional working quarters from your military work record if possible ... and then REALLY pushing for your SS.

Good luck in whatever you do ...

...Magoo .. aka .. Bill ... B)

PS ... I missed this original post by Jesse .... congratulations on helping your buddy get the 100% P&T.

Edited by Magoo_Mr.

• HadIt.com Elder

Magoo

I think you are right. I think the VA will come down on 100% PTSD cases like a ton of bricks if they attempt to work and are successful. Don't even mention the word work to the VA unless you are a triple amputee . I would be going to the VA and complaining my head off about all the things that are wrong with me. Many are jealous of veteran benefits and if there is a hint you might be getting something you don't deserve they will be all over you in a flash. I continue to go to the VA and complain about the side effects of my meds every change I get. I document how methadone keeps me practically housebound and how the anti-depressants don't work for me. If may not be macho to complain but this is what works in the VA system.

Magoo

I think you are right. I think the VA will come down on 100% PTSD cases like a ton of bricks if they attempt to work and are successful. Don't even mention the word work to the VA unless you are a triple amputee . I would be going to the VA and complaining my head off about all the things that are wrong with me. Many are jealous of veteran benefits and if there is a hint you might be getting something you don't deserve they will be all over you in a flash. I continue to go to the VA and complain about the side effects of my meds every change I get. I document how methadone keeps me practically housebound and how the anti-depressants don't work for me. If may not be macho to complain but this is what works in the VA system.

Everyone this is so stressfull. I really don't know what to do. I am confusing my kids (and wife) of work or not work. What am I (and other veterans in this sitituation) to do with my life now. I could use some more money. My marriage is on the rocks anyway. What a difficult spot to be in...I wish there was a concrete law on this PTSD stuff....It's like I asked for help from the VA, and I end up digging a hole for myself...Thanks everyone.

• HadIt.com Elder

FitBuddy:

I really am NOT trying to beat you up on this .. but just take a look from a different direction.

You said below --> .... "I am also 100% P&T... Just to make sure, I am asking everyone on this board a question. I was told by the VA that I can work and hold a job if I want to. Because I am 100% P&T. Now; if I was 70% and TDIU for example I could not work. I did get Champ VA for family, etc...I could even have a business. I am starting to work a day or so a week as a nurse part time...Thanks everyone...."

Personally ... if you will be working as a .. "NURSE" .. even 1 microsecond with PTSD ... three things could happen.

(1) If your PTSD is like mine ... your brain could have a giant "Brain Burp" and you could make a "big medical mistake".

(2) You could screw up ANY chances for SS ... there still may be a way to get SS ... ???

I reopened a SS file 13 years later and am fighting for SS now ... nothing is impossible.

(3) The VA will look at your part time work as a "NURSE" and maybe even give that profession more weight to take away your PTSD disability ???

Like John K. said .... IF ...you were missing arms, legs, eyes ... you could still work. Max Cleland was 100% disabled and he was Secretary of VA under Pres. Carter ..... HOWEVER ... his disabilities were not for mental reasons aka PTSD.

I had to make some giant lifestyle changes when I went on disability.

I do understand your situation as much as I can and you must do what you think is best.

But ... I really think that the VA will nail you later .. especially .. working in the medical profession as a NURSE.

Some of my neighbors think that I am a "disability bum" .. because I have a disabilty and still have all my arms and legs ...and they would turn me into the VA in a flash ... if they though that they could get me.

Be very careful ... and IF you really want to work as a nurse ... I would get a letter in writting from the VARO before I did anything in that line of work. Even requesting that letter ... could be a red flag at the VARO too.

I wish you best & good luck ....

... Magoo .. aka .. Bill ... B)

Everyone this is so stressfull. I really don't know what to do. I am confusing my kids (and wife) of work or not work. What am I (and other veterans in this sitituation) to do with my life now. I could use some more money. My marriage is on the rocks anyway. What a difficult spot to be in...I wish there was a concrete law on this PTSD stuff....It's like I asked for help from the VA, and I end up digging a hole for myself...Thanks everyone.

My wife has PTSD so bad I cannot even go back to nursing myself (at least not at the moment..one can only hope she becomes self sufficient in the future). I have done a few things to keep myself busy (and for some extra money)....I got a business license and I sell christmas letters (and other holiday letters) from santa claus (sold about 800 this year and got good feedback, but I ended up with a very slight net-loss of money). I also, use the business license to sell odds-n-ends on Ebay....buying items that are dirt cheap and reselling is a slow process, but it keeps me, and the wife, busy and every little bit helps. I'm also looking to get into either real-estate or something else I can do from home, but it's hard finding courses that I can take exclusively from home (as I cannot leave the wife alone for any prolonged periods of time). On top of all this, I trade stocks and have done fairly well in that endeavor (made about 15K last year in my first full year....I used the money I got from selling our home <we moved cross country and are now renting>).

If these things don't work for you, I would suggest that you get your wife to get into something (if possible)...as long as the work/business is in HER name you can do all the work you want from home. She could get her real-estate license and you could do ALL of the paperwork, appointments, etc. She could also get a job doing medical billing, data entry, etc from home and pass the work onto you.

There are things out there if you look hard enough, but don't try to go back to a normal gainfully employed position...100% PTSD means YOU CANNOT WORK. Anyone who tells you otherwise is out of their mind.