VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Philips Respironics CPAP Recall

Rate this topic

Here's the reply from my local VA sleep clinic. 

Good Morning Mr. White, 

Yes, we are aware and are attempting to reach veterans daily. VA recommends that you continue using your machine. Philips Respironics the 
company that makes these machine is responsible for replacing your machine directly to you. Please go to: Philips.com/src-updates to register your machine for replacement. You will need the serial number of your machine. It is found at the bottom of your machine. It starts with a letter J followed by 12 characters (all numbers or a mixture of numbers and letters). That is: J------------. 

You will receive in the mail bacterial filters for backup. The filter should be placed 
between your hose and your machine. 

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us. 

It's interesting how the different VA offices handles things. Years ago, I accidently destroyed my C PAP machine, and I contacted my sleep clinic and they scheduled me an appointment the very next day to come in and pick up my new machine.

3 minutes ago, pacmanx1 said:

It's interesting how the different VA offices handles things. Years ago, I accidently destroyed my C PAP machine, and I contacted my sleep clinic and they scheduled me an appointment the very next day to come in and pick up my new machine.

For damaged/destroyed CPAPs, the VA will immediately replace them. My old one stopped working last year and they made an appointment for me to replace it with Philips defective one I have now. 

I was hoping they would replace it but it looks like the VA is going let Philips replace them all instead.  

Isnt it just like VA to allow Phillips to "continue sending defective CPAP's to Veterans" knowing of the recall.  

I smell a class action lawsuit...this is a very big deal for people who NEED a cpap like myself.  Reggie White died of sleep apnea.  

Essentially, people stop breathing at night, then wake up and start breathing again.  ONe night Reggie White did not wake up.  

The bad part of sleep apnea is waking up gasping and choking trying to get air. I hope I never wake up like that again, scared the hell out of me. After everything calmed down the only thing, I could think about was when we were in boot camp and had to go through that gas chamber. I had to realize; if I didn’t catch my breath I was going  to die.

Edited by pacmanx1

I sent a message, via myhealthevet to my PCP.  I explained the recall.  I told her I wasnt sure there was a sleep medicine doc in my VAMC anymore and asked what to do. I await her response. This may be the most important topic I have read in hadit.  A defective cpap could cause death.