VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should a TDIU IMO for mental health include a in-person or video exam?

Rate this question

mb76

Question

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

This question in the IMO forum regards getting an Independent Medical Opinion/but  often an IME ( Independent Medical Exam) in person, is required.

What is your service connected rating now? And what for?

This link will show the Criteria for SSDI benefits:

https://www.ssa.gov/applyfordisability/

Have you ever been denied by SSDI?

The IMO/IME criteria is here in our IMO forum.

https://community.hadit.com/topic/53826-read-first-if-getting-an-imo/

In regards to IMOs for MDD or any other form of depression covered in §4.130, VA demands first right of denial at a MDD c&p for compensation purposes. In other words, if you've never filed for MDD and get your own IMO first to submit, VA will almost always deny automatically. 

After you are denied, and only after you are denied, you may seek an IMO from a private psychologist or psychiatrist and file it with the VA. VA demands an "in-person" interview-preferably a Zoom-type meeting rather than a telephone call. The psychologist must state as much too. Before Zoom, we used FACETIME.

I get VA denials saying the psych. failed to use the DSM V or used the old DSM IV criteria. I have them deny based on the c&p exam not being conducted by the VA first when it was. I just move it to the BVA on appeal to accomplish this refusal to adjudicate the decision properly.

I got a diagnosis with the VA for MDD/PTSD.  Then I had my C&P who agreed with such diagnosis for 50%.  Then I got an outside IME for the same claim putting me in the 70% range and included a diagnosis of TBI along with it.  This triggered 5 additional VA C&P's.  In the end I got 100% for PTSD/ with TBI, P&T.

I can tell you this, one of the VA C&P examiners was not happy with a paid Psyc. Doctors IME.  Not amused at all.  Her C&P reflected her dismay.  So be careful.  I had to file a complaint with the VARO to have her C&P dismissed and redone. 

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use