Rate this question

Carl the Engineer

Question

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

This is truly sad. 

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

Isnt this just like VAOIG?  The likely "make recommendations" to protect Vets in the future.  (They were already required to do that).  Its the Kangaroo court, the fox guarding the hen house, which helps to ensure about 22 Vets commit suicide EACH DAY.  At least "some" of these were depressed in no small part because of massive delays in VA benefits.  How do I know?  Yea, Im one.  I was suicidal as I was about to lose my home and unable to support my family.  No thanks to the VA, I got in some public housing, shortly after becoming homeless.  How did it happen?  

Well, I applied for benefits in 2002.  Naturally, those were denied.  So, I appealed.  Board granted.  VARO implemented board denial (hearing loss) at zero percent.  All that took 4 years with no money, no job.  Naturally, even tho VA "should" have given me pension, which would have staved off homelessness, they did not until 2006.  4 years.  And they KNEW I was homeless, because it was IN MY MEDICAL RECORDS where I told the doc.  

And VA wonders why I dont trust them, and why I got mad.  A claim for comp is supposed to be also a claim for pension.  I had "no idea" I was eligble for pension, and My VSO did not say a word.  How was I to know I was supposed to apply for pension?  Well, VA was supposed to infer it, but they did not until after I lost my home and my doc said, "You should apply for pension while awaiting compensation".  That is what I did, but it was too little too late to save my home.  Grrrrr!

• HadIt.com Elder

Broncovet

I became disabled and lost my job in 2001.  I was lucky because although VA did deny my claim for TDIU I did get worker's compensation.  I had been a shop steward so I knew the rules about worker's compensation.  It took another two years to get TDIU and I would have starved if I had not gotten SSDI and Worker's compensation in the meantime.   Our stories are just the tip of the iceberg because you know many vets never got their compensation and ended up permanently homeless.  Here in Florida getting any sort of help is very difficult. I don't believe an intact family can get public housing .  When my wife was married to her ex-husband she had two kids and he got into an accident and was disabled for a year and she went to welfare office and they told her to hire a nurse for him so she could work.  This was absurd because they were poor and could not afford a nurse.  The world is a hell of a place for the poor and disabled.

A friend and vet PTSD group member, Gary Demag, died when he froze to death, after going outside the VA White River Junction, VT, Medical Center, some 20+ years ago.  He went outside thru a fire exit, to smoke a cigarette, and couldn't get back in cuz the door locked automatically.  He was an inpatient. Never heard if anyone was charged.  Disgusting.  It's the reason I don't use the VA hospital for other than routine outpatient visits.

• HadIt.com Elder

VA hospitals are dangerous places.  Last year I was in the local VA hospital for a week due to my DMII getting out of control.  After three days I was begging to get out.  I was losing weight and getting weaker.  I was in a tiny room with six other sick vets who kept me awake all night and all day.  It was hell.

I can tolerate fighting the VA over my disability.  I can tolerate arguing with the VA over hospitalization entitlements.  This matter detailed in the attached article, is intolerable.   Heads should be placed in pikes at the city gates and jobs lost over this.  This is absolutely inexcusable.

Edited by Scottish_Knight