Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Mail Problems.

Rate this question

Rattler

Question

• Community Owner

In one of the conversation last week with 800 Betty I found out that the VA is having problems with its mail system. So if they have issued an decision in your case and you have not received the letter yet. (At this point the 10 days do not matter) You can get them to email it to you. (I don't recommend it as its hard to open and I'm a retired IT Guy) Or they can Fax it to you. That's what I did as I have an online Fax account.

• Community Owner

OK me clear this up as it has gotten out of hand hear.  There is a big delay in VA out going mail. This was told to me by 800 Betty about a week ago. I am an IT guy with 25+ years of experience. Because cause of the mail problems if you have a letter or a decision letter that they mailed to you 800 Betty can email you the letter. As I keep my computer up-to-date and the VA does not I have been unable to open any secure email sent to me. The VA's secure email looks for an older version of Net Framework for some reason it doesn't recognize the new one like on my PC.  If you have a fax number they can fax them to you if you ask and they have sent you the letter but you have to ask for the VA to do that. The one line Fax service I use is Fax Plus it cost $11.99 a month. An example of the current mail delay is I received a decision on October 20, 2021 I received the letter today. Some I have not received.

The Second thing that I found out is that if you are a certified Vet rep or VSO with VBMS access you can get a copy of your C & P Exams if they know how to do it. I contacted our State VSO and he said they can if they represent you so they have access to your C-File. I am still waiting on a Freedom of Information Act (via VA Form) Request from 6-24-21 on a C & P Exam. 

The reason parts of our system are not up to date is because we are connecting to other systems, including DOD, that are running programs created back when screens on computers had green screens.

My connection to VHA has ascii graphical elements like text boxes, etc, and once I kick off a processes like searching for or downloading vha records I can’t interrupt it, cancel it, pause it- I have to let it run to completion or failure. The connection to NPRC is even worse. 

We have not been told that it was authorized to do so, and many of the 800# people are contracted through call centers, they are not all VA employees. They don’t have the same training or the same authorization to even see decision letters or your full CFile, so hire they are emailing them out faxing them is a cause for concern. 

I don’t know who authorized the emailing and faxing of decisions to people, but I’ll follow up on that today. GPO internal mail isn't the only mail that is slow of having delays right now. USPS has its own problems. 

VSOs can only email or fax you unofficial decisions- they are still subject to change until they are sent from VA/GPO. 

ill check with our CISO today and see what he says. 

Edited by brokensoldier244th

I don't think it's a it problem with the system in the last year.

I has to do with this evidence in take center.

And yes you can get your decision fax over. After 10 business day if you didn't receive it.

4 5 month to get a copy of a comp exam that crazy oh so now I got to have a vso to get a copy faster. Smh 

The system is change and veterans need to get ready.

This is my opinion.

On 11/4/2021 at 8:01 AM, brokensoldier244th said:

There already is legal advocacy- the VSO's. There is also no shortage of other organizations, legal and otherwise, that will assist in filing claims (Im thinking groups like NVSLP, for example- they aren't VSO's but they aren't employed by VA, either). 

VA has lawyers on staff in many RO's and VAMC's.  https://www.va.gov/ogc/docs/LegalServices.pdf 

Web MD studies do not mean a whole lot in the way of evidence unless you were part of the individual study parameters. Its not "sad" its the reality of how a good scientific study is conducted, and what the results mean afterwards. The parameters specifically address only the study group and the control group. The findings "may" apply to 'you', a veteran, but your doctor has to cite the study and how it applies to you. You can't just print off a ream of Web MD and say "this involves me......".

It has nothing to do with holding them in a low opinion, it has to do with the reality of what a scientific study means, how its conducted, and what it's results apply to- and if you weren't in the study, that isn't you. I'm sorry that you disagree, but that is the evidentiary standard for any scientific study. I've done them, and I've had to deal with human studies boards to get approval to do them when I did my Masters in Education. That's just the way it is.

Lawyers know this, too, but they still throw it all in there hoping it slips by, which is predatory, in my opinion. Lawyers aren't providers either, and also cannot render a diagnosis- especially based on a medical study conducted on a group that you weren't a part of. They certainly aren't in a position to decide that a study applies to you- they are no better than lay people in that regard, and the evidentiary value of any lawyer interpreting a scientific study is the same as you filing a buddy letter. If this was not the case there would be no need for expert witnesses in any trial needing the interpretation of evidence. 

Unless a study is cited by one of your providers rater's can't use it for much in the way of evidentiary value because raters are not medical professionals and its not their job to diagnose you based on medical studies, symptoms, or anything else. They apply the medical findings from YOUR doctor against the standards set by Congress in the various CFRs for the severity of a disability. That's it. They have a lot of training in deciphering the jargon in the notes and studies and how it applies to your clinical findings but they legally can't render medical decisions.

big difference from inside looking out

from the outside looking in

VSO's are 3rd party entities that screw up a lot as well 

the claims btwx claimant and VA should not need 3rd party help in a non-adversarial system 

think like a vet that experienced errors in every claim they made

then you will figure out why i said what i said and how it makes sense

2 minutes ago, pwrslm said:

big difference from inside looking out

from the outside looking in

VSO's are 3rd party entities that screw up a lot as well 

the claims btwx claimant and VA should not need 3rd party help in a non-adversarial system 

think like a vet that experienced errors in every claim they made

then you will figure out why i said what i said and how it makes sense

I’m aware, I was a vet for 18 yrs before I started working here. Your interpretation of non adversarial  and the governments is different. 

Not all claim screw ups are VSOs fault.

Sometimes vets demand a claim be submitted hell or high water, and some Vso’s do it despite the claim having little evidence or whether it even meets the basic standards.