Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Found new disability listed in Ebenefits I did not claim

Rate this question

GulfWarVet1990

Question

Good afternoon all, has this happened to anyone? I submitted a claim for Chronic Sinusitis (burn pit exposure) and was granted.  However I just checked my list of disabilities in ebenefits, and VA added Allergic Rhinitis ( 0 %) to my list of disabilities even though I did not claim.   

6 answers to this question

5 hours ago, GulfWarVet1990 said:

Good afternoon all, has this happened to anyone? I submitted a claim for Chronic Sinusitis (burn pit exposure) and was granted.  However I just checked my list of disabilities in ebenefits, and VA added Allergic Rhinitis ( 0 %) to my list of disabilities even though I did not claim.   

That's happened to me (for something else) but the first time I noticed it was in the SOC I received.  VA rated you on the Chronic Sinusitis and acknowledged service-connect for Allergic Rhinitis but perhaps your symptoms for it weren't high enough (yet) to rate it above 0%.

80% combined (rounded).  82% actual.

70% - Major depressive disorder with anxious distress (claimed depression), Service-connected disability? Yes. Effective date:19/08/2016
10% - Degenerative disc disease thoracolumbar spine, Service-connected disability? Yes. Effective date:19/08/2016
10% - Radiculopathy, left lower extremity, Service-connected disability? Yes. Effective date:19/08/2016
10% - Sciatic nerve radiculopathy right lower extremity, Service-connected disability? Yes. Effective date:26/02/2020
10% - Bilateral temporomandibular joint syndrome (claimed TMJ), Service-connected disability? Yes. Effective date:19/08/2016
10% - Tinnitus, Service-connected disability? Yes. Effective date:19/08/2016
0% - Right ear hearing loss, Service-connected disability? Yes. Effective date:19/08/2016
Left ear hearing loss, Service-connected disability? No
Cognitive impairment (claimed due to major depressive disorder), Service-connected disability? No

yup, I was rated 10% for Chronic Sinusitis, and Allergic Rhinitis 0%.  Just find it interesting that they would rate me for another disability. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Not all VA raters are negative; many actually do a good job. We just kinda focus on the negatives because that happens a lot and we want veterans to try to prepare for those. It really isn't unusual for the VA to add additional disabilities if the evidence is there to be able to do it. Good for you.

Fortunately, Vet's are "NOT" required to be experts in the differences between "Chronic sinusitis" and "allergic Rhinitis" in order to be awarded benfits for both.  

As an example, "Joe Veteran" can apply for "knee pain".  This could be caused by a number of maladies, and Veterans may not know how to spell or pronounce ANY of them.  But his application for "knee pain" should suffice for one of many knee related joint conditions.  

Its fair and fitting that the VA does this.  Some Veterans dont even read or speak English, let alone understand the complexities of various knee related diagnosis or injuries.  

The Veteran can "point" to a body part to which he wants to apply for benefits..he does not need to understand medical diagnosis of knee disorders to win benefits.  

In a similar way, your conditions are closely related "to the nose" and sinuses.  Be happy Va has done their job.  They dont always do that.  

I have to say that this is a good sign of some things that go on the VA that are good, slap me a good one, yes the VA can at times do right by the Veteran.  Hopefully this will get service connected, there have been some changes in the presumptive conditions for Iraq and places that had burn pits used.  Although, my opinion on this, the VA has a long way to go with the health effects of burn pits and the disabilities they can and will cause, it is a good step in the right direction.

If the evidence is there, and the records support it, the service connection process should be started.  Eventually their MD or your own IMO will make the connection.  The VA knows the regulations surrounding a claim and what it takes to grant, getting them to follow and do what the claimant is entitled to is another matter all together.  

I still say this is a step in the right direction though.  

Mr. A

:ph34r: " FIGHT TILL YOUR LAST BREATH " :ph34r:

I almost forgot and important point on this.  Never just go off what eBenefits states, doing so can lead to disappointment.  But when you get the decision and it is in black and white, for the most part, this is a solid sign that the VA got something right.

Mr. A

:ph34r: " FIGHT TILL YOUR LAST BREATH " :ph34r: