VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I am an IT Pro with over 30 years experience

Rattler

• Community Owner

I am an IT Pro with over 30 years experience. I can give you advice on mot computer related issues.  If you have forgot a password have hard drive problems etc. Try Hiren’s BootCD PE. Hiren’s BootCD PE

This Software will get you passed a lost password and fix most problems.

Thanks for that.  I have not personally tried this..it likely will work.  

I used to use Knoppix (a version of Linux) that boots without loading an operating system on the disk and lets you read stuff in plain text.  The problem is that not all computers now a days have CD/DVD drives.  Im sure this knoppix could be loaded to a thumb (jump) drive also.  Many or most Linux versions run on the cd/dvd drive without loading the operating system.  

If I was locked out of a computer, I insert a Knoppix cd/dvd, copy the applicable user files, then reload the operating system with another Linux, probably Linux Mint.  

While this does take some time, it saves time in the long run because Linux just does not get the hackers like "hacker magnet" Windows does.  You can read about, and download one of a hundred or so Free Linux operating systems here. https://distrowatch.com/

In a nutshell, Linux is an operating system written by Linus Torvalds and other open source software people.  Open source means its free to the public, no license like Windows is required.  

In cell phones, you probably have used Linux based Android operating system. (unless you either dont use smart phones or use Apple, instead)  In fact, in cell phone technology, most places no longer offer windows phones, the choices are Android or Apple.    There are good (no, great) reasons why Android and Apple are Superior to Windows OS phones.  However, there is a group of "windows phone lovers", who may dispute that.  However, a windows phone likely costs more because you have to pay for the windows operating system, while you dont with Android.  

I started out as a Windows user, then switched to Linux, and now Im all Apple.  Apple computers last longer, have better service (many towns have Apple stores), but often cost more up front.  However, its easy to pay as much or more for a windows laptop as an Apple.  

Its been my experience Apple computers last about 10 years.  Windows is about 5.  Yes you can get longer out of either of these, and sometimes less, also.  Often Windows "will stop supporting" their older Windows operating systems after about 5 years or so.  

This mostly means you cant get updates, so hackers have a ball with Windows users with very old operating systems.  

Many many years ago I had an Apple I Mac 3 that lasted only 3 years and failed on the day after warranty expired. Ever since then I have used only windows pcs and laptops and been quite happy.  I still have two older than 10 year windows laptops that still work just great with windows 7, and 8.1, plus two windows 10.  I still use the apple Safari web browser on my windows machine to read old CAVC court cases that I saved on my defunct Apple I Mac. 

I have found that there is so much more software programs that work for free or cheap on my windows machines and so far no virus, malware or trojans on the windows laptops. Cheers and goodwill to all.

You have a lot of company (being a Windows fan).  But, many of those, like myself, switched to Apple or Linux.  

My apple stopped working, after the warranty.  I took it to an apple store.  

They reloaded the Mac (apple software), and I walked out of the store with a working Apple laptop.  Cost?  $0.00

I asked them (Apple reps) about that.  They said it was a software problem, and the software warranty does not expire in 3 years.  Try that with a Windows Box.  

Very often, when a computer fails, its a software issue, not always hardware.  

Apple people are "rarely" convinced to "switch to Windows".  However, many ex Windows users, like myself, are happy with Apple.  I have never seen a Apple user switch to Windows, "except" for a few limited people trying to run some software unavailable on a Mac.  

The Apple/Windows debate will never be settled..there will always be fans of both.  That is ok.  This is America.  We fought for those freedoms.  

• Founder

Apple lover of all things. Elegant simplicity, for myself switch to Mac was huge stress reliever. The simplicity, the it just works, just grand in my book. But as I am sure you can tell I am teetering on the edge of being a member of the Cult of Mac LOL. It really has made doing my work much easier, but I don't need any programs that don't have a MAC version. Now a days it's even more common to find a MAC version for software. I hear PC's are better for gaming, but I don't game. Which every you choose I wish you well with it. No judgement here.

Like apple lovers I do love my simple to use Windows laptops although no snob appeal with plain jane windows PCs.  I also love my very functional dodge ram 1500s, 2500s but they are no BMWs or Cadillac's or diesel monster 3500s  that is fine with me. 

A win is a win my any means.