VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help understanding AMA timelines

Rate this question

Whodat

Question

Greetings all. 

I need a little help understanding the new AMA timelines.

My HLR was returned in November 2021 for DTA on 3 different claims. From what I am gathering, once it gets returned, it goes back to the supplemental lane. 

The VA estimates an average of 125 days for a Supplemental decision.  My last C&P exam was on 21 Feb. Does the time starts after my last C&P exam or the date that I had received the DTA letter?

Also I have read that once a claim has returned for a DTA error, the RO was suppose to expedite that claim, is this statement accurate?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I am not an expert, but believe the 125 days for supplemental is based on the date they receive it from you. They have been saying the same 125 days for years now.

If they have not yet sent you a decision letter, but simply sent you a DTA letter saying they need a C&P performed, I would assume you would be within the same 125 day window. Of course, that's not a hard window and the VA may miss that 125 deadline for a variety of reasons.

Regarding expediting, I asked a similar question and they said the claims are based on when they received it in each lane. You might send to supplemental and get a response, then send to HLR and the time starts over. However, I do not know for certain, but based on my claims since 2019 that is exactly what it felt like. I had an HLR that took over a year. It did not feel like they treated it like before the AMA changes where the "date you initially requested" held your place in line at the VARO unless you went to the BVA.

I'm probably wrong, but am sure someone with more knowledge will provide more accurate info.

Thanks. Great info. 

I did receive a decision letter in Nov 2021. Some decisions remained the same. Other decisions were returned to the VARO for DTA errors. I am assuming the date on the decision letter is the date that it went back into Supplemental status. If that is the case, I am on day 140 now. 

Also, I have read that once a claim has returned for a DTA error, the RO was supposed to expedite that claim, is this statement accurate?

Here is the latest update from the VA. I am quite sure that this may change. The BVA metrics has been changing about every 30-60 days and who knows what will happen next. Not trying to be negative or be a jerk but there is no such thing as being expedited due to the fact that there are a lot of veterans requesting their claims to be expedited. 

155.2 days

Average number of days to complete disability-related claims in March 2022.

The VA Claim Process After You File Your Claim | Veterans Affairs

I am not taking it as being negative, just a discussion. 

I guess what doesn't make sense is why did HLR put the expedite statement in the decision letter knowing that it won't happen. 

But I guess I do understand the delays being that we just ended a drawn out war with a larger military force. Plus the reopening of some presumption conditions for our elders. Guess all we can do is wait. 

My experience with VA:

"Do your best estimate (in days, months, etc)"

Multiply that number times 5, and you will be about right.  

I hope yours does not take that long, but thats been my experience.  

In the mean time, no matter how long, I recommend getting a hobby:  Do something you like. Fishing.  Visit grandkids.

Play Checkers.  Take time to improve relationship with spouse, kids, family, friends, etc.  Make amends with those you may have wronged and regret it.  Read.  A watched pot never boils.  Relax.  Its probably not gonna make a lot of difference if it happens This week, or 4 months from now when you look back 5 years from now.