VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nexus letter

Rate this question

Tammie

Question

I am needing to find a Dr to give me a nexus letter.  I live in Troy, Mo. I got out of the service in 1988 and am sc for my knee. This injury happened when I fell out of a helicopter and twisted my knee.  I blacked out when I hit the flight line and when I regained consciousness I was in extreme pain in my knee. It was doubled up under me. At this time nothing else hurt and over  the years I have suffered from back pain. I have since found out I have disc compress and arthritis in my spine in multiple places. I have had to have two nerve blocks due to the arthritis in my spine pushing on my spinal cord.   I am needing to find a Dr to give me a nexus letter for this.  Does anyone know of a Dr in the St. Louis area?  Thank you for your help. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Tammie

In my experience you almost always need a letter from a doctor to make the connection between your primary disability and any secondary condition.  The VA often just disregards the science and insists on a doctor saying that your secondary is at least as likely as not the result of the primary condition.  I have DMII.  VA found clots in my legs.  My doctor wrote a letter saying why this was most likely a result of DMII.  I got 60% for heart disease.  I have PN from the DMII.  VA granted 10%. I got my doctor to write a letter and I got 40% for each limb.  The VA won't just do this for you.  In your case bad knees could affect your gait.  This could cause hip problems as well as back trouble in time.  If you can make the connection you could get a higher rating.  This is my opinion based on my own experience.  I have two primary  and 7 secondary ones.  You might get lucky and your C&P doctor might make the connections.

It doesn't hurt to file for TBI.  Have you ever file for TBI in the past?

As far as your spinal conditions, being that you are already sc for knee conditions, that may have caused your back problems.  

Exactly.  Go through your service medical records. You can use a rep if you would like to but in my opinion, being that reps have a huge work load, they may not put as much effort. 

All of the claims that you are SC for, ask for an increase. For the other claims, file a new claim such as depression, TBI, spine.  I would also file secondary for my serviced connected conditions. You may be depressed from your tinnitus and knee condition. 

Keep in mind, you are at the max on tinnitus. 

Also keep going to treatments. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Oh, yes, if you have chronic pain start to see a shrink.  Depression and disability go together.  Even your half-ass VA shrink might make that connection.  As Dr. Who says stay in treatment. Put on the full court press.  You have nothing to lose.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use