VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

HLR for Barrett's and Hiatal Hernia

Rate this question

Carl the Engineer

Question

Well,

I waited as long as practical, but I just submitted an online (all of 2 minutes) HLR for my denied Barrett's and Hiatal Hernia of Jun 4, 2021.  I was waiting for my C-File to come to see the exams etc., but it has not arrived yet.

Both were claimed by me as secondary to my medications for HBP, DDD and DJD of spine, etc.  I was denied because the Barrett's and Hiatal Hernia was not related to the conditions of HBP, DDD and DJD of spine, etc., etc.  

I am unsure if "conditions of" is the same or not the same as caused by medications.  And I will express that to the caller when I have my phone meeting.

That and the fact that I do not have access to my exams and evaluations (opinions) from the third pary examiners.

Wish me luck,

Carl

Then if denied, supplemental.  Hopefully I will have the C-File by then.

Edited by Carl Bacon
cause I can

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@Carl BaconYou're definitely on the right track! Good luck!

The issue from what I can isn't that you don't have enough medical evidence,  the issue is overcoming a negative opinion from a C&P examiner.  From my own personal experience most VA C&P examiners are unqualified hacks.   That may sound harsh but my struggle was long and unnecessary.  

I think the simplest way is to have your treating physician state in your medical records that your condition is caused by the medication you are taking.   Do you have something like that already in your medical records somewhere?

22 minutes ago, JKWilliamsSr said:

The issue from what I can isn't that you don't have enough medical evidence,  the issue is overcoming a negative opinion from a C&P examiner.  From my own personal experience most VA C&P examiners are unqualified hacks.   That may sound harsh but my struggle was long and unnecessary.  

I think the simplest way is to have your treating physician state in your medical records that your condition is caused by the medication you are taking.   Do you have something like that already in your medical records somewhere?

No, I don't.  I will look though, as there are many and I may have overlooked.  Most of my treatment for both conditions were through the VA medical.  I have treatment records for heartburn, etc. while in the military.  So, the heartburn causes the medication which causes the Barrett's, etc.  We will see.

Thanks,

Carl

Update,

Today I recieved a text and an email to go to a web page and pick a date and time for my HLR call from the VA.

I picked the farthest day out, Wednesday next week at 1 PM.

I am going to go see my CVSO and see if they can print me my exam's etc., from my denied claims, as I have not recieved my c-file yet.

At a minimum, I will express my inablilty to get my records (c-file) in a timely fashion for the HLR call, and that I am at a disadvantage.  I will then highlight my concerns regards my denial(s), and point out important parts of the paperwork I sent in with the claim, to support my position.

Best I can do, without my c-file,

Carl

19 hours ago, Carl Bacon said:

Update,

Today I recieved a text and an email to go to a web page and pick a date and time for my HLR call from the VA.

I picked the farthest day out, Wednesday next week at 1 PM.

I am going to go see my CVSO and see if they can print me my exam's etc., from my denied claims, as I have not recieved my c-file yet.

At a minimum, I will express my inablilty to get my records (c-file) in a timely fashion for the HLR call, and that I am at a disadvantage.  I will then highlight my concerns regards my denial(s), and point out important parts of the paperwork I sent in with the claim, to support my position.

Best I can do, without my c-file,

Carl

Good luck!  I really didn't have an issue tying my GERD and IBS as secondary to PTSD.  It doesn't have to "cause it".  It just has to have the potential to "worsen" it.

Well, that didn't work quite as planned.  Had to take my wife to see her (one of) doctor, 4 hours away, on Friday and Monday was a Holiday for our comrades who didn't make it home.

So, no exam records, etc., from my VA file.

So, I a have my "informal" HLR today at 1 PM, this afternoon.

I'm going in blind, wish me luck,

Carl