Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD Claim 12 years after discharge

Rate this question

Bucker

Question

Hello,

I served on active duty with the Army Infantry from 2006-2010 with a couple deployments to Iraq.  I was wounded in 2007 and received a Purple Heart.

When I left active duty in 2010 I filed a C&P claim and was awarded 20%.  Part of my rating was Anxiety.  That was 12 years ago and at the time I had no idea how the system worked and didn't have an understanding that my behavior has not been "normal".  The C&P Dr. basically said I was okay and sent me on my way.

Here we are in 2022 and I finally decided that I needed to actually do something about what I assumed was PTSD.  I went to a VA clinic this week and was immediately diagnosed with Chronic PTSD and was prescribed some medication.  The Dr. strongly encouraged me to apply for compensation related to this diagnosis and in fact seemed upset that I hadn't been rated higher upon discharge.

I'm trying to read up on the process but I'm not really clear on how all of this works.  I intend to follow through with a referral to a therapist in the near future and will give the medication a try when it arrives.  What are my next steps? I'm near the Columbus, GA area but it appears that the DAV office that assisted me way back in 2010 is no longer present.  MOPH seems like it no longer assists with claims.  Who can I go to for assistance?  Will the Anxiety diagnosis from 2010 impact anything?  It's been like 15 years since I was wounded, does that degrade my chances of getting a proper rating?

I was incredibly satisfied with the Dr. I saw this week and wish someone like him had talked to me during the C&P back in 2010.  I imagine getting treatment back then would have significantly improved the last decade+ of my life and the relationship with my kids.  Can't go back now though.

A few additional notes:
After leaving active duty in 2010 I continued to serve in an intelligence MOS in the Reserves and deployed again, this time to Afghanistan.  I ultimately received an honorable discharge in 2017 and am no longer affiliated with the military.  No idea if this changes the equation at all.

Any help with understanding the process would be incredibly appreciated.  My initial claim took 24 months exactly to be processed and the 20% rating never seemed appropriate, but my experience with the VA at that time was so bad I had never intended to interact with them again in any capacity.  I know, that was poor judgment, but it was absolutely crushing to my mental health even back then.

Thank you in advance, and I will keep reading a much as I can while here.

8 hours ago, El Train said:

You should be in the 50 to 70%, no problem.  You have your duck in a row at this moment.  Have a VSO file for the increase right now or go on ebennifits or Vets.gov.  If you're not signed up, you may have to go into a VA clinic and have the front desk help you out.  

Comb over your service medical records for any other claims you might have.  For example, I got rated for a TBI for an accident in which I got knocked out for a short period of time.  One excerpt in my medical records about it.  Took a keen Psych Dr. to ask if I ever had any head injuries one session.  You served in the Gulf.  Look into GW presumptive issues.  

Thank you. I started a claim today myself. 

As it isn't a FDC, can I simply continue to add evidence as needed or should I leave this as is and wait for a c&p call?

I submitted a vba-21-0781, awards, dd214, and a lay statement about the deployment(s). All treatment so far is through the VA. The Dr I saw there really seemed to be looking out for me with his notes.

I've got issues, but I feel uncomfortable pushing hard for money. Plenty of vets out there are much worse off than I am...

On a side note, how long does it usually take for new prescriptions to be filled via mail?

• HadIt.com Elder

VA pharmacy is pretty good about filling scripts.  I get mine by mail and it takes a few days after the doctor sends it to the pharmacy.  VA ships narcotic pain meds through regular mail which is reckless IMO.  If you really need them you can pick them up at the pharmacy.  Don't worry and just get the money the VA owes you.  There are lots of vets out there in bad shape but they just don't know enough to file a claim.

On 5/16/2022 at 7:08 PM, Bucker said:

Thank you. I started a claim today myself. 

As it isn't a FDC, can I simply continue to add evidence as needed or should I leave this as is and wait for a c&p call?

I submitted a vba-21-0781, awards, dd214, and a lay statement about the deployment(s). All treatment so far is through the VA. The Dr I saw there really seemed to be looking out for me with his notes.

I've got issues, but I feel uncomfortable pushing hard for money. Plenty of vets out there are much worse off than I am...

On a side note, how long does it usually take for new prescriptions to be filled via mail?

File now.  They'll continue to collect evidence if it's through the VA.  That's what I did.  No telling how long it will be for your C&P.  If you get lowballed on your percentage (like 50%), then you can contest it at that time.  That will take quite awhile.  Keep getting treatment through the VA.  I went through some kind of Cognitive dissonance meetings for a few months that went a long way in my initial PTSD approval.  Keep up the treatment until you think your claim is satisfactory.  I initially got 50%, filed a notice of disagreement, got an outside mental health Dr's assessment (nexus &DBQ).  When the dust settled, I ended up 100% PTSD/TBI permanent.  

Treatment didn't work for me.  Now all I do is talk to a pharmacist to keep getting my meds.  And he hasn't called me in a year (which is good.  Leave me alone).  The med program is fantastic.  If I need to get them updated, do it through https://www.myhealth.va.gov/mhv-portal-web/home.  When refills run out, I instant message them to refill them.  I don't talk to anyone.  Except my annual check up.

Peace.

On 5/18/2022 at 1:44 PM, El Train said:

File now.  They'll continue to collect evidence if it's through the VA.  That's what I did.  No telling how long it will be for your C&P.  If you get lowballed on your percentage (like 50%), then you can contest it at that time.  That will take quite awhile.  Keep getting treatment through the VA.  I went through some kind of Cognitive dissonance meetings for a few months that went a long way in my initial PTSD approval.  Keep up the treatment until you think your claim is satisfactory.  I initially got 50%, filed a notice of disagreement, got an outside mental health Dr's assessment (nexus &DBQ).  When the dust settled, I ended up 100% PTSD/TBI permanent.  

Treatment didn't work for me.  Now all I do is talk to a pharmacist to keep getting my meds.  And he hasn't called me in a year (which is good.  Leave me alone).  The med program is fantastic.  If I need to get them updated, do it through https://www.myhealth.va.gov/mhv-portal-web/home.  When refills run out, I instant message them to refill them.  I don't talk to anyone.  Except my annual check up.

Peace.

Thanks for the input. 

Just got a call today (4 days after submitting the claim) to schedule a C&P exam with QTC. Appointment is next Wednesday 50 miles away. We'll see how that goes, I haven't even done any treatment other than the single appointment where I was diagnosed. Meds won't arrive until Saturday. Crazy fast process so far. 

Edited by Bucker

Just make sure that you study the criteria for the different ratings for PTSD. Make sure that you follow along with it. The examiner may only as questions pertaining to the 30% rating but not the others. If the examiner don't ask, be sure to point it out. That's what I had to go through when I filed for an increase.