Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Does the va award service connection for conditions caused by medications prescribed for non-service connected conditions.

Rate this question

Richard1954

Question

I am taking some medications for non-service connected conditions. I have heard that sometimes a veteran can be service connected for conditions that become worse or are a result of a medication used 

for non-service connected conditions. I have not been able to find anything in my research to confirm this.   Does anyone have any ideas, or can anyone point me in a direction that will comfirm this opr shed 

some light on the subject.

I am not a lawyer so take my opinions with a grain of salt...

If I had listened to the nay sayers, I would never have acheived any ratings after I was awarded TDIU in 1999. Now I have not one but two 100% ratings, a TDIU  and 4 SMC awards !  I say JUST GO For It

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” -Albert Einstein.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Thanks @Richard1954. Keep in mind that the information I posted was recent and if you attempted to try and CUE the older denials, you would need to research and find out if anything changed between then and now because the VA would only consider what was in effect at the time the denial was made.

Perhaps the VA considered your ability to count fingers at two feet as not being loss of use. I bet they are interpreting it as either you see something, see light, or see nothing. If you can see something they are saying you don't qualify. Honestly, with the VA I have learned not to be surprised when they make errors in decisions because it has happened to most of my claims. Even though I am SC for one eye condition, I'm not really too knowledgeable about other eye ratings, blindness, or a K award for it outside of what I posted. Also, I tried getting eyeglasses through the VA once and went to the private sector every time after that. I prefer to have to visit the doc once for an exam and once for a fitting instead of having to come back multiple times to get them remade properly. Things probably have changed though in 20 years...

It stinks that they could not fix your eye better than that. Definitely keep researching because one day maybe they can end up performing a successful whole eye transplant at some point in the future. 

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

• HadIt.com Elder

Those claims can be won because former members won them  for spouses.  I would not let a VA doctor touch my eye with a ten foot pole.  I had severe cataract in my right eye and went to the VA.  They refused to operate and prescribed glasses that were an inch thick.  in hindsight I am glad.    I went to a real eye doctor and got the surgery with zero problems and much improved eye sight.    My wife has an eye problem and doctors misdiagnosed it over and over again.  She finally got a very special doctor to make the right call.  No surgery, just some glasses.