VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

CRSC Questions

Sudo01

I am a medically retired Marine with 15.5 years. I was retired in 2006. I was under the impression that you had to have done 20 years in order to be eligible or meet a portion of the criteria for CRSC. I am 100% total and permanent. I was rewarded 30% for knee injury by Medical Evaluation Board and retired, due to an injury simulating war games. I also participated in Operation Uphold Democracy in Haiti and suffer from PTSD and depression as a result of bagging bodies as a result of a skirmish with one of our line companies.

Questions:

Upon filling out the claim do I file for just the 30% for my knee, or do I include all of the things (PTSD and Depression) secondary (back pain) due to knee injuries etc...

I am trying to seek information or help with filing this claim.  

File for everything that you think that you are entitled to. Make sure that you scrub your service medical records thoroughly. If and event or injury happened while in service, claim it. 

17 hours ago, Sudo01 said:

I was rewarded 30% for knee injury by Medical Evaluation Board and retired, due to an injury simulating war games. I also participated in Operation Uphold Democracy in Haiti and suffer from PTSD and depression as a result of bagging bodies as a result of a skirmish with one of our line companies.

Personally, I do not consider benefits as being rewarded but awarded.

Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC)

Combat-Related Special Compensation provides tax-free payments to retired Veterans with combat-related disabilities. You must apply for CRSC through your uniformed service. Keep reading to learn about eligibility, evidence you’ll need to provide, and how to apply.

Eligibility to apply for Combat-Related Special Compensation

You may be eligible to apply for CRSC if you meet the requirements listed here.

All of these must be true:

• You're retired (and entitled to or receiving military retirement pay), and
  • You have a VA disability rating of at least 10%, and
  • You currently have your DoD retirement payments reduced by the amount of your VA disability payments

Details about your retirement eligibility requirement

One of these must be true:

• You had 20 or more years of service in the military, National Guard, or Reserve, or
  • You retired for medical reasons with a disability rating of at least 30% (under Chapter 61), or
  • You're covered under the Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA), or
  • You're on the Temporary Disability Retired List (TDRL), or
  • You're on the Permanent Disability Retired List (PDRL)

Evidence and other documents you’ll need to provide 

Evidence that proves your disability or injuries are the result of a combat-related event, like:

• Service medical records. These must be from when your injury happened. They must show the severity of your medical condition and that it's combat-related.
    Note: Provide only relevant medical records. Please don’t send us all your medical records.
  • Official service records. These include After Action Reports, Investigative Reports, personnel action requests (like DA 4187), and performance evaluations (like NCOERs and OERs).
  • Decorations and award recommendations. These include Purple Heart citations, Combat Action Badges, medals, and decorations for valor.

Other documents:

• Retirement records. These include retirement orders and the Armed Forces of the United States Report of Transfer.
  • Your VA decision notice
  • Your DD214

What the evidence must show about your combat-related disability

The evidence must show that your injury happened while you were:

• Engaged in armed conflict (in combat or during an occupation or raid), or 
  • Engaged in hazardous duty (like demolition, flying, or parachuting), or
  • Participating in war simulation activities (like live fire weapons practice or hand-to-hand combat training)or
  • Exposed to instruments of war (like a military vehicle, weapon, or chemical agent), or
  • Engaged in an activity you received a Purple Heart for

How to request the documents you need

Decision notice: Send us a request in the form of a letter or note. Be sure to ask for “my VA rating decision letter,” and sign your name. Send your request to your nearest VA regional office. Find your nearest VA regional office

Military service records: Request your military service records (including your DD214) online, by mail, or in person. Learn about how to request your military service records

How to apply for CRSC

Send your completed application, along with any supporting documents, to your uniformed service. Please don’t send original supporting documents since your uniformed service won’t return them. Send copies only. And we recommend that you make a copy of your completed application for your own records. 

Fill out a Claim for Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC) (DD Form 2860). 
Download DD Form 2860 (PDF)

Note: There’s a 6-year statute of limitations for CRSC. To be sure you get the full amount of your back payments, you must file your CRSC claim within 6 years of any VA rating decision or the date you become entitled to retired pay, whichever comes first. If you file your claim after this 6-year limit, you can only get up to 6 years’ worth of any payments due to you.

Uniformed service addresses

Find the correct mailing address or email address listed here (these are also on Form 2860):

Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC) | Veterans Affairs (va.gov)