Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

RETROACTIVE TO DATE OF DISABILITY DIAGNOSIS

Rate this question

Brooklyn1977

Question

I've learned that Retroactive payments are being made starting from the date of diagnosis.  Most are receiving back pay from the Date of Initial claim submission, however, there is a new law that allows you to claim retroactively from the date of diagnosis.   Are you aware of this?

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Set your calendars for October 4, 2022 so you too can listen to the oral arguments. And then wait months and months for them to hopefully approve this. If approved, I really hope they make it retroactive to prior claims and throw the 1 year deadline out the window.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

On 8/10/2022 at 7:45 PM, Vync said:

Set your calendars for October 4, 2022 so you too can listen to the oral arguments. And then wait months and months for them to hopefully approve this. If approved, I really hope they make it retroactive to prior claims and throw the 1 year deadline out the window.

this would be great

Edited by blahsaysme2u

Probably the one year deadline for a rating to be final

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@brokensoldier244thWe will find out soon enough with fingers crossed...

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

• Community Owner
On 8/10/2022 at 6:45 PM, Vync said:

I thought they argued this on back in March?

Effective dates are complicated.  Generally, your effective date is the LATER of the (facts found, that is the date the doc said your symptoms began) or your date of claim.  

Because of Fenderson, you can get a staged rating.  This mostly applies when it takes VA a very long time to adjuticate your claim, and, your symptoms worsened while you are waiting on VA to decide your claim.  As an example, you may get 20 percent back to 11-14-2002, then 40 percent from June 6, 2012 as its documented your symptoms got worse on June 6, 2012. 

There are many exceptions to the general rule, above.  A couple notable exceptions are when you are applying for an increase, or when you applied within a year of your discharge from military service.  

New evidence under 38 cfr 3.156 further complicates the issue when/if you submitted new evidence (38 cfr 3.156 b) or new service records, (38 cfr 3.156 c).   If you have a "pending claim" and you submit "new relevant evidence" this can be (liberally construed) as an application for increase under 38 CFR 3.156b, and can result in an earlier effective date.  

It gets even more complicated, because, up until about Feb. 2019, you could apply for benefits with an "informal claim".  (an informal claim for increase, not just an informal claim.  The idea is that you already gave VA a formal 21-526 "formal claim", but did not need to repeat all this information again, when seeking an increase, you merely had to "identify the benefit sought", and, in some cases this could even be done at your doctors office, for example, if the doct informed you, "You have xxxyy condition".  

And, if you responded "Ok.  Good, I want to apply for xxxyy, also". 

In this example that doc appointment could serve as the "date of claim", because it was already documented you sought benefits (when you filled out the 21-526), and you have documentation that you "identified the benefit sought" (condition xxxyy)

There are a number of Veterans who had a clever lawyer review the file, and determine there was an informal claim documented sometimes years before the benefits effective date.  

It also gets very muddy when you apply, are denied, then you apply again, and are eventually awarded benefits for the same condition.  (with or without new evidence).  

"If" you think you may be entitled to an earlier effective date, my advice is to send your claims file (probably electronically) to a NOVA Veterans attorney, and ask him if he sees the earlier effective date YOU see.  

You can then decide, whether to hire the lawyer, to go pro se, to go with a VSO, or a different lawyer.