VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Overseas (Expat) Vets, 2nd class citizens..... why?

Right then,

this is perhaps a curiosity question.  After 13 year of retirement, someone mentioned to me about the Foreign Medical Programme.  Never heard of it.  Applied back in May and learned today that I was accepted.  I had to ring Peggy to learn this, mind.  The letter was sent on 1 June, but have yet to receive it.

I knew from day one of my retirement that I had no dental coverage as I chose to live in Europe.  With the FMP, it's near on the same.  The only coverage that the FMP offer is the disabilities listed by the VA.

I've come to accept the limited medical coverage I receive due to my location of choice.  But I am wondering why this is?  Do any of you learned lot know why this is?  When I compare medical cost of Germany and the USA, Germany, whilst still expensive, is cheaper than the USA.  I'm just curious as to why those of us overseas are treated to less coverage than those of you in the states?

Ideas?

Cheers!

Short answer:  I dont know.  

However, "maybe" the VA likes it when Veterans have to pay taxes in the USA.  Yea, I know VA income is not taxable, but most of us pay sales tax, property taxes, gasoline taxes and a bunch more, to include taxes on IRA's (when the money is withdrawn) and investments even when we have no other earned income besides VA.  

I guess there are benefits and costs for living in most places, and its tough to find a place where we can have all the benefits but no costs.  

Worse than FMP, in my opinion, is that my wife has better insurance than I do.  I dont get DIC, for example, when she passes, but she does.  And, Champva coverage is not limited to the VA.  That is huge.  So, if wifey comes down with cancer and needs treatment at the Cleveland clinic, they would pay for hers, but, since cleveland clinic is not the VA, I would have to have a referral from my prime care doc to get va to pay for that, while my wife would not.  My prime care doc (I dont even have one now, because the old prime care doc quit!) would have to "justify" why he gave me a cleveland clinic referreal, costing VA money, but very likely extending my useful life. GRRR.

Im not complaining, tho, that my wife has great coverage.  Im happy about that.  But I wonder why her choices are much much better than mine.  I have to go to the VA, while she can get treatment anywhere, not limited to VAMC's.  

I noticed whenever congress passes laws for Veterans, there are almost always "gothcha's".  For example, Vietnam Era Vets did not get the caregiver program, for a very long time, while newer Vets got it years ago.  Worse, older vets such as nam era vets are older and probably need caregiver more than the young vets.  So, they give it to the young ones, and make the old vets wait.    The VA has been exceptionally slow to give vietnam era vets the caregiver program, when we need it much worse than young vets.  

Mostly, "its all about the money, boyz".  There are many vietnam era vets needing caregiver program, so it saves em much money by making us wait until we die.  

Edited by broncovet

Thanks for the reply BroncoVet.  Aye, I agree it's about the money.  You lot get COLA, I believe.  I don't.  The GAO in 2020 found there are about 18000 US vets living overseas.  Not a huge amount compared to 17.4M total.  What the government saves from not offering a little more to the overseas vets is a drop in the bucket.  Truly.  Thanks to the help from this forum, I finally receive what I deserve, but those first 10 years were tough to make ends meet.  I paid one surgery completely out of pocket - 4000€.  Well, I think Tricare might have covered a wee bit, a few hundred Euros. 

Again, just curious on this.

• 2 weeks later...

JUST CURIOUS- for my own retirement plans-

is your VA money taxed when you are overseas in other countries? do they consider it "income"

not really super applicable to your question and ill post a new one if its too far off topic just thought i would ask

@blahsaysme2u, one of my favourite topics. First, it's going to heavily depend on which country you live, but most like no. Most would have difficulties justifying levying a tax on disability payments.  Germany where I live only wants to see the taxable income from my 1099. They care FA about VA pay and they don't tax my retirement pay. Only my income here.

Now secondly, you will need to file returns with the IRS regardless of where you live. The USA is one of only three countries, aye, three(!) that expect expats to declare their income. Eritrea is one of the others. No other country demands this. We do, though have a tax credit on earned income of up to ca. $70k. But the need to even pay tax to a country one does not live in....  near on thievery.  The US Government claims its all about the passport and capital gains. Rubbish!