Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can't Log In to VA Site Using va.gov Login

Rate this question

Max Rommel

Question

Hi everyone. Recently there seem to be a change. Instead of using my DS Login info the VA wants me to login using va.gov. I signed up for it and got approved with a PW. Plus it sends me a one-time code. But from there when I try to go to "My Va" I get an error message. I attached a snapshot of the message to this post. So basically I can't get in any longer to see m2061831761_ErrorMessageva.govLogin.thumb.jpg.64130d290f628b742fa7e9af1121c709.jpgy claims. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks. Max

As of yesterday I have used the ID ME option that I select my Google account ID as the actual sign in procedure and VA.Gov send me a one time 6 digit code by text message and this has worked well for me for several months now.  VA.GOV refers to this as a new sign in procedure.  Try it.  They have other ID options besides Google.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

HTTP: status 404 means it cannot find the location to forward to the browser. I also had to use ID.me because my DS Logon and Myhealthva credentials did not work on va.gov. In short, somebody "upgraded" something...

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

• Founder

Sounds like they went through with the changes outlined below and it's a bit glitchy.

MyhealthyVet is changing things.

Buck52

By Buck52
04/02/2022

Do you use My HealtheVet?

The process for signing in to your account is changing.

Soon, My HealtheVet users will start signing in through the new VA sign-in page. This new process will give your account an extra layer of security to keep your VA information safe.

The new sign-in process has been available on My HealtheVet for several months, and you may have already tried it for yourself.

If you want to try it today, go to the My HealtheVet home page, select “Sign in,” and then select “Try the new sign in” at the top of the page.

How to sign in with the new process

The first time you use the new process, you’ll notice a few key differences.

You’ll start by entering the information you usually use to sign in, such as your My HealtheVet user ID and password or your DS Logon or ID.me account information. You can also use a new credential, Login.gov, to sign in. There’s more information about Login.gov later in this article.

The first time you use the new VA sign-in, you will have to enter an email address to sign in. Make sure you use a current email address that you can access during the sign-in process. The email address you use cannot also be used to sign into another account, such as your spouse’s.

When you enter your email address, you’ll receive a confirmation message. To continue signing in, you’ll need to find that message in your email inbox and follow the instructions to confirm you received it.

The next step is multifactor authentication. Multifactor authentication is an added step that helps strengthen your account security. You can learn more about it by watching this video.

If you sign in using your DS Logon or My HealtheVet credential, you will have the option to set up multi factor authentication. Follow the instructions on the page or select “Set it up later” to skip it for now.

Users who sign in with ID.me or Login.gov have multifactor authentication set up already. Simply follow the instructions to finish signing in.

For more details, check out the guide to signing in to My HealtheVet using the new VA sign-in process.

Introducing Login.gov

The new sign-in page also includes a new option for signing in: Login.gov.

Login.gov is a sign-in service built by the U.S. government that works on other government websites. Login.gov is not the same as ID.me, and your Login.gov information is not shared with ID.me.

You can use Login.gov or continue using the previous sign-in options – My HealtheVet, DS Logon, or ID.me. Learn more on the Login.gov website.

Need help?

We understand change can be difficult sometimes, and we’re here to help. You can learn more about what to expect and find helpful resources on the My HealtheVet website.

If you get stuck, you can call the My VA 4-1-1 information line 24/7 at 800-MyVA-411 (800-698-2411

https://blogs.va.gov/VAntage/103117/sign-in-to-my-healthevet-changing-soon-heres-what-to-expect/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=&utm_term=&utm_content=

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

• HadIt.com Elder

My DS login has gotten me there except for when they are adding the other may types of login options.  The site goes down for a few days then.

I find the page displaying where you want to go after logging in often confusing.  Wish they would simplify it.  Why do we need all of the added civilian potential logins for ID me, etc. when we login via our old DS login?  Garbage that makes me think my DS login may be less secure if others can get to the same page.  Does this open a back door to veterans' benefits?

VA has about 3 different and confusing ways to login:  myhealthyvet, DS login and ID me.  

And, as pointed out, its glitchy.  Tens of billions of dollars have been put into VA's IT systems and its mostly wasted money.  

It seems VA loves to "micromanage" IT companies they hire to do the job.  A much better way is to do it the old fashioned way:

1.  Have users and government employees write down and document what new features/changes to the website they want.  

2.  Grant some limited access, such as read only to see if the changes the programmers make "actually work".  

3.  Let the programmers be until the programmers are satisfied the freshly minted software works.  

4.  Test the software in Beta to be glitch free in a limited number of users. 

5.  Turn on the new software, after testing.  

None of this involves micro management.  Instead, it lets programmers be programmers, users be users.  Users often know little or nothing about programming and programmers often know little or nothing about being a user.  

For this reason, it takes some trust, and teamwork..not micromanagement.  VA does not trust Veterans, and Veterans do not trust VA.  Its a toxic environment, where little progress can be made.  

The solution is mostly about trust.  While its true you can get burned with trust, its actually a mental illness where you trust no one.  You just have to use some discretion on who to trust.  

The "dont trust Veterans" policy is a bad one.  Remember, Veterans who served our country honorably, have already established trust, or should have.  They promised to serve, and kept that committment.  

For that reason, Veterans should be trusted more than employees who have mostly "not" shown they can keep a long term committment.  (4 years, 10 years, 20 years, etc).  The VA policy of trusting a six month employee, probably hired through nepotism, over a Veteran who served 4 years is a bad idea, and contrary to common sense. 

VA has about 3 different and confusing ways to login:  myhealthyvet, DS login and ID me.  

And, as pointed out, its glitchy.  Tens of billions of dollars have been put into VA's IT systems and its mostly wasted money.  

It seems VA loves to "micromanage" IT companies they hire to do the job.  A much better way is to do it the old fashioned way:

1.  Have users and government employees write down and document what new features/changes to the website they want.  

2.  Grant some limited access, such as read only to see if the changes the programmers make "actually work".  

3.  Let the programmers be until the programmers are satisfied the freshly minted software works.  

4.  Test the software in Beta to be glitch free in a limited number of users. 

5.  Turn on the new software, after testing.  

None of this involves micro management.  Instead, it lets programmers be programmers, users be users.  Users often know little or nothing about programming and programmers often know little or nothing about being a user.  

For this reason, it takes some trust, and teamwork..not micromanagement.  VA does not trust Veterans, and Veterans do not trust VA.  Its a toxic environment, where little progress can be made.  

The solution is mostly about trust.  While its true you can get burned with trust, its actually a mental illness where you trust no one.  You just have to use some discretion on who to trust.  

The "dont trust Veterans" policy is a bad one.  Remember, Veterans who served our country honorably, have already established trust, or should have.  They promised to serve, and kept that committment.  

For that reason, Veterans should be trusted more than employees who have mostly "not" shown they can keep a long term committment.  (4 years, 10 years, 20 years, etc).  The VA policy of trusting a six month employee, probably hired through nepotism, over a Veteran who served 4 years is a bad idea, and contrary to common sense. 

Someone pointed out the IRS trusts hundreds of millions of taxpayers..hundreds of millions of tax refunds done in a few weeks or even sometimes days.  Then, later, upon audit, if the taxpayer lied, he/she is prosecuted to the full extent of the law.  

A similar system should work with Va.  A Veteran who applies for benefits should have only minimal documentation for him or her to be paid benefits, just like the IRS.  

However, if its determined the Veteran lied on their application, exaggerated symptoms etc etc.  then they should be prosecuted.  

Soon, crooks would be scared to lie to VA, because their buddies would be in jail.  Just like IRS fraud.  Most honest people are afraid to lie to the IRS, because they know they will be fact checked.  

Va, because of the weak VAOIG, is a joke.  While I never recommend lying to VA, way too many who do lie to VA get away with it.  Its usually an inside job, with some rater knowing a friend or family member granting benefits the Vet does not deserve...sometimes the person isnt even a veteran.  

Yes, its true that most VA employees are hard working, and honest.  However, there is much corruption there, often at high levels.  And, whistle blowers are retaliated against, and VA gets away with retaliating against whistle blowers again and again, because of a weak VAOIG, which is the fox guarding the hen house.  

This is an example of how honest VA employees are terrified by corrupt high up officials, knowing they will retaliate.  

https://www.pogo.org/investigation/2020/03/terrified-of-retaliation-inside-veterans-affairs-whistleblower-office

Edited by broncovet