Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

First exam yesterday, still upset over their questions

Rate this question

Deagle

Question

So yesterday I had my first exam with VES for a PTSD claim. Within 2 minutes of the call she wants the most intimate details of things I've seen/done. I told her flat out she was giving me anxiety and panic attack because Id rather not relive everything with someone i have no rapport with. I wasnt rude and tried to remain polite but I explained some situations of CIVCAS where 3 kids got smoked and I didnt want to give all the details. She wanted to know every trauma I've seen, I tried to explain I'm in drones and have been doing it since 2010 I cant possibly go into every detail, for perspective I showed her my performace report last year confirming over 200 EKIA. I simply dont want to relive every mistake, every bad experiance because theyre too lazy to read my files and statements before hand. 

The line of questioning and forcefulness to ask questions with no rapport goes against all modern psychological standards. 

How do I file a complaint or can I even do that? Im still reeling today about it today and barely slept last night because that was so unprofessional and intrusive. 

• Founder

@Mr cueI agree if you don't like the way the exam was handled, file.

The way I understood the veteran was that the exam was very triggering, and my point is that sadly c and p exams are triggering since they have to go through your stressors.

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

1 hour ago, Tbird said:

@DeagleFirst, I agree the c and p exam can be very triggering. It's a not purposely designed to be triggering but it is a side effect of the examination.

C and P examiners have to follow the DBQ, frustrating but unavoidable. It was like this before DBQ's also, I had to repeat my trauma over and over and over and over...Which is why if you are filing for a mental health disability I recommend that you establish yourself with a therapist because it is a very triggering and stressful experience. 

If you don't already have a therapist, please think about getting one. Whether it's private, at the Vet Center or through the VA. Filing a claim is process not a thing and it takes a time and you will need support.

I also recommend reading this post https://www.hadit.com/things-to-do-at-your-va-compensation-and-pension-exam/

I wish you well and you should know you are not alone.

Thank you! I had been using a military psychologist for years before switching to the Vet Center about 2 years ago. I will be reading your link, thank you for the resources and your time. I appreciate it. 

• Community Owner
On 9/18/2022 at 7:30 PM, Deagle said:

I am BDD, I think the situation just really upset me because it was super unprofessional, especially asking for details, I have no problem talking about a vague example, e.g. kids being blown up. But to ask for more specific seemed very much out of bounds. Just my thoughts. 

I get it I have the same problem as to what triggers me.  Before you do what I am going to suggest I would wait to see what happed with the C & P Exam.  My only concern is some of these C & P Doc's will think you are trying to scam them and will state so if you don't answer there questions or are evasive about it. I don't think anyone ask it but was the C & P Doc a PhD or similar? Only Doc's that can do MH Exam have to have some kind of phycology degree.  I posted the following doc's somewhere else in the forum.  Theses were give to me by a Doc that did an Independent Medical Exam for use to fight a bad one that was used to low ball rate me.  Use the forms that they are on and cut and past the txt that are in them and put you info in place where needed. 

DBQ Election, Duty to Assist Waiver, & C & P Decline Notice to VA Regional Office.pdfFIOA C-File Request and C & P Exam Doctor Information.pdfChallenge to C & P examiner competency.pdf

• Community Owner
On 9/19/2022 at 10:12 AM, Deagle said:

Thank you, I feel better knowing that I'm not the crazy one thinking the line of questions was over the line. I really appreciate your time to type that all out. 

Your Not Crazy the VA system is. Even if you get ratted and get Community Care they will fight you for every thing the doc ordered. I am going through it over a non-ambulance transport that the hospital ordered to take me to rehab.