Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Other Less Known Benefits And Such

Rate this question

ROMAD

Question

Is there anywhere on Hadit to post information about other benefits people have found/ I learned today that as a SC vet we get free access to many National parks, and 50% off of camping at thousands of campgrounds in many federal locations Forest Service, Corp of Engineers, National Parks, Tenessee Valley Authority, Bureau of Land Management. I found info on www.recreation.gov . are there other programs that you all have found that may be of assistance. primarily something with significant discounts not the standard 10 to20 percent that is given for hotels and the such. Any free or 50% and greater is what I am curious about. Thanks!

Romad

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• Founder

i know this isn't exactly what you are looking for but this may help

This link is from a california state page so just ignore the california state benefits and the rest is a pretty good run down http://www.cdva.ca.gov/service/2006Veteran...tsChecklist.pdf

Federal Benefits for Veterans and Dependents 2007

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML

Over the years, federal benefits for veterans have evolved to meet ... also available for severely disabled veterans who are not currently ...

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...sabled+veterans

here is a link to wisconsin state benefits

http://dva.state.wi.us/benefits.asp

hope these help.

Romad -it sure pays to check where you live-

we have property tax execption for Wartime Service, SC disability,

and for widows of 100% P & T SC vets.

Also here a 100% SC vet can get a free fishing license and also I am pretty sure a free hunting license-

(think it is just free deer or turkey permit- I think they have to pay extra for bear license.)

Also my daughter while in the Mil and home on leave could get a free 3 day fishing pass with proof of her active duty service.

Any possible bennie is worth checking out.

When Julius Caesars men came home from military service they never had to pay taxes again and the whole community extended them gifts,of land and food,they got free medical care and LOTS of respect.

These days a vet has to make sure,themselves, they get what they deserve by their service.

This is funny-a neighbor - a vet-took me to breakfast at Ponderosa-

I had a AARP senior citizen discount card, my fire dept discount card and my Student ID discount card , he had lost his Fire department discount card, He is 12 years younger than me but we went out a lot for years.

(USAF -20 years Ret)but he always teased me about my age-

well I started to whip out all these discount cards and the cashier said to me - only one discount can be given and I already gave it to your friend-for the meals-he got the Senior citizen discount.

YIKES the vet was only 49 and he NEVER made fun of my age again!

Reminds me- any vet with a student loan who also is awarded 100 %SC P & T or even 100% NSC-can often have that loan written off the books with a medical statement--- if their disability is permanent in nature with no improvement likely.

Edited by Berta

The exact info ROMAND is referring to can be found here:

http://www.nps.gov/parks/passes_fees.htm

T-Bird,

I'ma gonna bug you again, why cant we have a forum section dedicated to benefits, both state and federal? A place where we can all post links, discounts, etc. as well as advise on how to apply and etc. I think it'd be of more use than the computer section personally. We've discussed it ... well I have nagged you about it for years now. How about we try it and if you dont see it being used you shut it down? I am willing to bribe you with chocolate... and candles.

Guest RickB54
The exact info ROMAND is referring to can be found here:

http://www.nps.gov/parks/passes_fees.htm

T-Bird,

I'ma gonna bug you again, why cant we have a forum section dedicated to benefits, both state and federal? A place where we can all post links, discounts, etc. as well as advise on how to apply and etc. I think it'd be of more use than the computer section personally. We've discussed it ... well I have nagged you about it for years now. How about we try it and if you dont see it being used you shut it down? I am willing to bribe you with chocolate... and candles.

For chocolate and candies I could even support such an idea..... :rolleyes:

America the Beautiful – National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass – Access Pass - Free.

http://www.nps.gov/fees_passes.htm

This is a lifetime pass for U.S. citizens or permanent residents with permanent disabilities. Documentation is required to obtain the pass. Acceptable documentation includes: statement by a licensed physician; document issued by a Federal agency such as the Veteran’s Administration, Social Security Disability Income or Supplemental Security Income; or document issued by a State agency such as a vocational rehabilitation agency. The pass provides access to, and use of, Federal recreation sites that charge an Entrance or Standard Amenity. The pass admits the pass holder and passengers in a non-commercial vehicle at per vehicle fee areas and pass holder + 3 adults, not to exceed 4 adults, at per person fee areas (children under 16 are admitted free). The pass can only be obtained in person at the park. The Access Pass provides a 50 percent discount on some Expanded Amenity Fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launching, and specialized interpretive services. In some cases where Expanded Amenity Fees are charged, only the pass holder will be given the 50 percent price reduction. The pass is non-transferable and generally does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessionaires.