Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New DOD card

Rate this question

El Train

Question

Well I got my new DOD 100% disabled card since the tan ones will expire sometime in the future.  My tan one never expired (indef).  The new one however expires in 4 years for whatever reason.  Guess I'll be going back every 4 years.  Sucks. 

5 answers to this question

Are you rated P&T? It could have been a misstep by the person doing the new card. Im 100% PT and my new one says INDEF

100% IU + P&T (90% Overall)

• 10% Left Knee Strain, Instability, Internal Derangement to include Shin Splint
    • 70% Depressive Disorder due to another medical condition, with major depressive-like episode with anxious distress
    • 40% Degenerative Spondylosis, Thoracolumbar Spine with Degenerative Disc Disease (Previously rated as Degenerative Disc Disease with Arthritis, Lumbar Spine)
    • 10% Radiculopathy - Lower Left Extremity - Sciatic
    • 10% Radiculopathy - Lower Right Extremity - Sciatic
    • 10% Left Knee Limitation of Flexion - Lower Left Extremity

B.S. Criminal Justice Administration, University of Phoenix, 2015

Both my old and new card for my P&T TDIU says INDEF and I was recently upgraded by VA to P&T 100% so your card should say INDEF.  Probably an error by a new or lazy clerk.

My old card was issued in 2001 at Fort Hood, Texas and the new one at Travis AFB, Calif in 2021.

Yes, I am 100% P&T since 2018.  My guess it was an error as well.  She seemed pretty boot.  I even brought it up.  Not a big deal.  I scheduled an appt via their website.  Had the new one in two days.  I've been told anyone with the old version, you need the new white one in 2025 sometime.  Hopefully someone can  confirm this.

The laws changed in 2013, prior to this date all retires got the Blue ID card with indef on them. The new law requires an expiration one day before the retire turnes 65.  The logic was that this was a reminder that retires had to enroll in Medicare Part A and B to retain tricare. The law also changed for spouse who will receive indef on their ID card once they turn 70.

All non- active duty  ID cards will carry an expiration date of every 4 years  regardless of who it is issued to if they are not retirees or retiree spouses.

The Nexr Generation ID cards  had started to be issued in 2020 at select locations  but covid held this up.  Under the New ID card 100% Disabled Veterans will receive the same ID cards as retirees. ( No thank you , I will keep my Blue ID card with the indef expiration date) In fact, most ID cards will look the same with a white background.  All  Non-US citizens arthorized a card will recive the same white  card, but it will have a blue line across the bottom of the card.

Very basic information :  https://www.cac.mil/Next-Generation-Uniformed-Services-ID-Card/

I am not a lawyer so take my opinions with a grain of salt...

If I had listened to the nay sayers, I would never have acheived any ratings after I was awarded TDIU in 1999. Now I have not one but two 100% ratings, a TDIU  and 4 SMC awards !  I say JUST GO For It

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” -Albert Einstein.