VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can't find a group to put this in, so I'll start here....

Rate this question

10thFO

Question

Need some help or guidance, So my 18 yo son just went to college this August.  He has yet to recieve any of his chapter 35 bennies, which is just for Room and Board, but it's still 1298 a month.  Currently my ex wife and I have put it on credit cards or anything that works.  The college Veteran financial persosn, sent the letter in proving his enrollment, but here I am October 3 and still no money has showed in his account.  He has to pay it with the money they put in his account.  I can't find a phone number or anything to try and assist him.  Even called my SO and he claims he can't help with education stuff.  Just looking for a lead as to a number to call, or a lead.  Any help is appreciated.  

I agree with the advice, above.  The Pell grant is based on needs and should be included with the FAFSA.  (online application for student aid)

It was a nightmare when my son got it (about 8 years ago), and still is now.  

You need to contact the financial aid office of your son's college.  That is a good place to start.  If they havent certified it, then that is the hang up. 

Your son will have to declare a major, and take classes supporting that major.  

If he is taking baseball, bowling and badmitton, along with sex ed, well he better have a degree that supports that.  

The first year, most places require English 101, as well as more "basics",  and there should be a degree requirments page online at the college.  He needs to enroll in the classes leading to that degree, not just any old thing.  

To get the money, he not only needs to enroll in those classes, he needs to pass them and be advancing toward his degree.  

Signing up for the classes, then skipping them to party, will mean he will have lots of work to do later to catch up.  

He should be attending classes each day, unless there is a compelling reason.  

I look at it like this:

Do you pull into a gas station, hand the attendandt $20, then drive off without getting your gas?  That is what you are doing when you sign up for classes then dont attend.  

Now, Im not accusing your son of doing this, (even tho mine did), but if there are rules, they can take that money away and wont dilly dally doing it either.  

My son thought he knew more than the teacher and probably showed up only the first class or two, then wondered why he did not get checks a couple months later.  

Again, Im not accusing your kid of doing this, but you should check with the financial aid office to ensure he is in compliance.  There may be rules he is unaware of. (likely).  For example the college may require he filled out a fafsa (not sure if they are still called that).  Its an online application for financial aid.  

The fafsa "may" also pay additional financial aid, including possible tuition, books, etc.  So he should do the fafsa even if not required.  

Edited by broncovet

Just a follow up to my son's situation, the school's financial aid office had done their job, the hold up seemed to be at the Buffalo, NY RO.  Go figure.  But a call from my son's Senator back in Virginia, got the first checks paid at once within about 3 days.  Called the ex this morning to make sure his money went in today, and she verified that it did, and that it hade gone from $1298 to $1401.  So they have already added a COLA of 7.9 for the Chapter 35 for this year we are in now.  Thanks for the advice, just wanted to advise that it is finally up to date.  

Congratulations.  Glitches and delays are "not" just for Veterans, but widows and dependents also, its sad to say.  Source:  I had the same problem with my son in his Chapter 35, some years ago.