Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD stressor(s)

Rate this question

Guest Grec09

Question

While on AD, I lived with a civilian friend. He was gruesomely killed by a self-inflicted gunshot.

Several years after leaving the service, the VA diagnosed me with PTSD, MDD, Anxiety & eventually bipolar (my depression had changed to mania after a few years).

I have VA medical records with a PTSD diagnosis & my stressors on file. 

I want to submit my MH claim.

Edited by Grec09

6 hours ago, Grec09 said:

Can you explain that stance? Are you saying I should be less specific with the details?

To a layperson, a fortified structure as you mentioned could be misinterpreted as being "safe" even though it was in an active combat zone. I treat the VA like I would law enforcement, I provide what information is required but don't volunteer anything more. The VA will use your statements against you. Just be careful in terms of how you structure your statements and I'd suggest focusing on describing your symptoms such as depression, anxiety, or etc while deployed in an active combat zone.  

On 10/14/2022 at 10:53 AM, Grec09 said:

Maybe I misunderstood what I read about PTSD claims. I thought I would have to go into details during the C&P. Did you have to go into details during the C&P?

I did.  For my initial C&P exam, He only wanted one stressor event.  I gave him two. When I filed for an increase, a different C&P examiner wanted all of them.  So I gave him four stressors.  One of them a suicide in a porta potty that I had to reach up under the door to unlock it.