Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Diabetes type II caused by medications

Rate this question

Carl the Engineer

Question

First, I am not a Vietman Vet.  I am an Iraq Veteran.

I have been on either Hydrochlorothiazide or Chlorthalidone for my service connected HBP since 2004.  I got out of the service in '08.

In the spring I was diagnosed with Diabetes type II.  It is under control, however I take medication (pills) two times a day.  I believe if connected, in its current state, it would rate 20%.

I found documentation from civilian publications and from the the VA itself stating that both of those medications, plus another one I am on for high cholesterol, can cause Diabetes type II.

I am thinking of claiming Diabetes type II secondary to my HBP meds.

What do you think?

Carl

https://www.research.va.gov/currents/1121-Study-links-statin-use-with-diabetes-progression-points-to-need-for-further-research.cfm

IMG_20221018_0001.pdf

Edited by Carl the Engineer

• HadIt.com Elder

I have DMII and HBP. The future will probably be that you end up on insulin like me.  DMII is usually progressive unless you make a major life style change.   Let me ask you about your weight?  Has your weight increased in the last few years?  You know heart disease, DMII and HBP go together and many times related to being overweight.  Filing a claim for DMII based on those very common drugs may be a long shot, but what the heck?

• Adminstrator

I would for sure file for it.

Most of these things do go hand in hand.  

I have totally changed the way I eat.  No sugar and under 100 carbs per day.  Let me tell you it is not easy.  I love sweets, but they had me on the path of having many more health problems.  I have lost over 30lbs in 45 days and working on another 30.  I know I am lucky to be able to do this.

Keep on fighting!

1 hour ago, john999 said:

I have DMII and HBP. The future will probably be that you end up on insulin like me.  DMII is usually progressive unless you make a major life style change.   Let me ask you about your weight?  Has your weight increased in the last few years?  You know heart disease, DMII and HBP go together and many times related to being overweight.  Filing a claim for DMII based on those very common drugs may be a long shot, but what the heck?

I think Covid played a part as I hibernated (cause my wife is compromissed) for 2 years and in the spring I weighed in at my VA appt at 288.  I had been 275 for about 3-4 years.  So, with that they checked my sugars twice, 145, 155 and did a A1C which came in at 7.1.

With that, I met with a VA natrutionist, who told me that the way she dose it is with carbs.  60 each meal, with a 30 carb snack at most, so about 210 a day.  When I got back from that appt, my daughter set me up with a online program that records your intake.  We set it up with 180 carbs a day with a 2 pound per week weight loss.  I started at 2100 calories, and now I am at 1770 calories a day.  I try to hit the numbers, but dosen't work every day.  

It was hard, but now I am used to it.  But it is working.  5/3 288.6lbs, 7/20 274.7lbs, 8/23 265.9lbs and 9/23 262.1 pounds. So, 26.5 pounds so far.

On August 9th, my blood sugar was 113 and my A1C was 6.6, so the diet and the Metformin are working.  However, I am on Potassium now as it went critically low after I started both.  Another side effect of some of the drugs I am on.

I think I am near 250, but I only use the scale at the nutritionist to keep the same control measure.  Next appt is Nov 2.

FWIW, I have never felt better, have more energy and my get up and move has improved dramatically.  

The downside.  Miss the donuts, ALOT.  Boring food.  Lots of meat, which I like, but gets old.  Wife is mad at me all the time cause she can't make a pan of lasagna like she used too, along with sheet cakes, etc.  LOL..  But we are working on it.  She did make peanut butter cookies yesterday......

My target is 200, which I haven't weighed in around 40 years.

Wish me luck.

Carl

1 hour ago, shrekthetank1 said:

I would for sure file for it.

Most of these things do go hand in hand.  

I have totally changed the way I eat.  No sugar and under 100 carbs per day.  Let me tell you it is not easy.  I love sweets, but they had me on the path of having many more health problems.  I have lost over 30lbs in 45 days and working on another 30.  I know I am lucky to be able to do this.

Keep on fighting!

I am at 180 a day, now.

I am sure we will be cutting that number at my next visit..

Thanks,

Carl