VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this topic

USNDW

Just because "we dont see" attorneys "working" does not mean that they are not.  

I am aware of people "who only work" when the boss is watching.  Many years ago, my father, who was a builder (back when builders built homes, not subcontractors) was offered $20 for his old coveralls, plus a new pair!

Why?  Well that boss judged how you are working by how big of a mess your coveralls are!

With Veterans benefits, there is only one test that makes sense:

Did he win you benefits?

If he won benefits, it probably was not luck.  Much more likely, he used his experience to know just how to win this.  Endless filings wont do it.  Just "ONE" filing, along with meticilous follow up, is sometimes all it takes, and, if we knew what that was, we would have likely already done it.   Ever heard of a JMR?  

A JMR is a "joint motion for remand".  This means the VA lawyers have reached an agreement with your attorney, and they have agreed your attorney's filings have merit.  MOstly they dont do JMR's with PRO se claimants.  Why?  The attorney's name and reputation means something and VA knows if _____ is representing you, he will likely win.  

I have gotten JMR's, and won.  (at bva remand).  

Its a win by reputation, and that reputation is only built up with years of quality representation.  

I bet you, like me, had multiple VSO's, multiple decisions, multiple appeals, etc.  

I would be happy to pay someone a dollar to bring me $5 all day long. (20 percent).  

To reduce attorney fees, pay close attention:

1.  Appeal BVA decisions within 120 days, and hire an attorney to do it.  

2.  When the attorney gets a remand at the CAVC, tell him you dont need representation at the BVA level, but ask his recommendations on what it takes to win it. Often, it takes an IMO.  But that depends on the case.  

When I did the above, (learning about it by accident), I got represented by an attorney, he got paid by eaja, and I got to keep my retro.  

Its a formula that works.  Hire the attorney within 120 days of a BVA decison (less is better to give him time to file a NOA).  Ask him to do it for EAJA fees, many/most will.  

Ask his advice, again, after he gets a remand from cavc what it takes to win it.  

Then represent your self at BVA and follow the attorney's instructions/advice to the letter.  

Remember, judges are ex attorneys.  And you, "thumbing your nose" at attorneys representing self, means you already have 2 strikes against you.  

Its like if you had 50,000 dollars worth of specialized computer equipment to fix cars, would think somebody with 40 dollars worth of tools can fix your car as well as you?  Probably not.  

Attorneys often have hundreds of thousands of dollars of student loans to repay.   That is their "equipment".  And its not free.  If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.  It costs more.  

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder
37 minutes ago, broncovet said:

Just because "we dont see" attorneys "working" does not mean that they are not.  

I am aware of people "who only work" when the boss is watching.  Many years ago, my father, who was a builder (back when builders built homes, not subcontractors) was offered $20 for his old coveralls, plus a new pair!

Why?  Well that boss judged how you are working by how big of a mess your coveralls are!

With Veterans benefits, there is only one test that makes sense:

If he won benefits, it probably was not luck.  Much more likely, he used his experience to know just how to win this.  Endless filings wont do it.  Just "ONE" filing, along with meticilous follow up, is sometimes all it takes, and, if we knew what that was, we would have likely already done it.   Ever heard of a JMR?  

A JMR is a "joint motion for remand".  This means the VA lawyers have reached an agreement with your attorney, and they have agreed your attorney's filings have merit.  MOstly they dont do JMR's with PRO se claimants.  Why?  The attorney's name and reputation means something and VA knows if _____ is representing you, he will likely win.  

I have gotten JMR's, and won.  (at bva remand).  

Its a win by reputation, and that reputation is only built up with years of quality representation.  

I bet you, like me, had multiple VSO's, multiple decisions, multiple appeals, etc.  

I would be happy to pay someone a dollar to bring me $5 all day long. (20 percent).  

To reduce attorney fees, pay close attention:

1.  Appeal BVA decisions within 120 days, and hire an attorney to do it.  

2.  When the attorney gets a remand at the CAVC, tell him you dont need representation at the BVA level, but ask his recommendations on what it takes to win it. Often, it takes an IMO.  But that depends on the case.  

When I did the above, (learning about it by accident), I got represented by an attorney, he got paid by eaja, and I got to keep my retro.  

Its a formula that works.  Hire the attorney within 120 days of a BVA decison (less is better to give him time to file a NOA).  Ask him to do it for EAJA fees, many/most will.  

Ask his advice, again, after he gets a remand from cavc what it takes to win it.  

Then represent your self at BVA and follow the attorney's instructions/advice to the letter.  

Remember, judges are ex attorneys.  And you, "thumbing your nose" at attorneys representing self, means you already have 2 strikes against you.  

Its like if you had 50,000 dollars worth of specialized computer equipment to fix cars, would think somebody with 40 dollars worth of tools can fix your car as well as you?  Probably not.  

Attorneys often have hundreds of thousands of dollars of student loans to repay.   That is their "equipment".  And its not free.  If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.  It costs more.  

Good advice.  The difference between an attorney seeing you have a remand for a CUE and offering to help when not necessary and my current attorney waiting until the BVA decision to jump in.

I did not have an attorney or VSO. I don't have anything against either, but two different agencies I consulted with said No Way you can get that.

I am 100% SMC S, and SSDI, which I never used any assistance for either.

I know there are a lot of pitfalls in Compensation claims, but like I told the VLJ in the first hearing, this is not that complicated. I had a chronic disease that clearly manifested while in service, and had a confirmed diagnosis within 1 year of retirement.

At the time I filed and began the fight I was 90% IU, so I knew that could be taken away by a bad decision. While fighting this claim I had worsening conditions, which I also filed without any assistance, and ended up with SMC S. 

Some people may ask why I am continuing? Because I asked for a 100% extra schedule due to the impact. Also in the BVA is SAH, and I have loss of use of s lower limb and have to wear a metal hinged knee brace on both knees, and use a cane. The Caregiver program had done assessments showing I need help with ADLs and cannot live alone, so I expect the VLJ to address that in out next hearing.

Although the VARO has corrected the joint issues and service connected SNRA after 13 years, they still have not addressed the entire claim.

God Bless all of you here, all Veterans everywhere!!!

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use