VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

FIRE MY LAWYER?

Rate this question

blahsaysme2u

Question

so i am done with all the heavy lifting part of my claims. my lawyer is paid- i am paid...just a few lingering things to tie up with hopefully HLR or maybe one last visit to VBA

anyways question is, my lawyer seems to think i want him to keep representing me on these claims..how do i go about firing him politley...i am so grateful for his work on my EED case. it was a tough one and he really did make a HUGE difference. i have been trying to get this claim fixed since 2008 and he was able to do in less than 2 years...

but just dont need him getting any more of my back pay(even if there is any) for things that i can handle myself now...

thoughts? ideas? examples of your personal experience? letters you might have written to fire your lawyer?

thanks homies

4 answers to this question

You can file a 21-22 with VA and revoke, which gets the attention of VRCs and in VBMS the form is flagged to be reviewed. You can also do it on a cocktail napkin, 21-4138, etc, but the 21-22 is the official POA form and is easier to search for if looking for POA history, or prior revocations, etc. .  

i knew i could withdraw- was just trying to do it as polite and do it without blindsiding him...he really has been a great lawyer..

thanks for the advice and info for oither vets that might not know the correct way to withdraw POA.

No worries. You can contact him directly, too, but honestly they are likely used to to it. If you have good relationship with them you can write them a nice letter and then they can notify us that the relationship is terminated, also. 

Tell him, "Thank you for your offer and the great job you have done so far".  

HOWEVER, you have the attorney fees of the future "earmarked" for a specific project. (Sons college, wifes teeth, new car, etc).  So, this means you will be representing yourself in the future.  (Or use your VSO). 

(You can do that at BVA/ VARO, but get an attorney at CAVC.  At cavc eaja pays the fees.).