Rate this question

betrayed

Question

NEWS FROM THE RANKING MEMBER OF THE U.S. SENATE COMMITTEE ON VETERANS’ AFFAIRS

CRAIG ENCOURAGES VETERANS TO CONTACT DOLE/SHALALA PANEL

New website and contact information launched

March 16, 2007

Media contact: Jeff Schrade (202)224-9093

( Washington , DC ) U.S. Senator Larry Craig, the top Republican on the Senate Committee on Veterans’ Affairs, is encouraging veterans and their family members with concerns about VA and military health care to contact a new task force established by VA Secretary Jim Nicholson.

"The purpose of that panel is to identify problems so that we can take action to fix the identified problems," Craig said. "The panel is only going to be operational for approximately 45 days, so it is important that people with concerns act quickly. Of course, the Senate committee I serve on will continue its oversight of VA operations long after the presidential panel completes its report."

People can email their comments to the panel at TFHeroes@va.gov or fax comments to 202-273-9599. Task Force information and mailing address can be obtained on the VA home page, www.va.gov/taskforce.

On Thursday Sen. Craig met the Co-Chairs of the President's Commission on Care for America 's Returning Wounded Warriors, which is led by retired U.S. Senator Bob Dole and Donna Shalala. She served as the U.S. Secretary for Health and Human Services during the Clinton administration.

"We are all committed to improving the lives of all injured servicemembers. The main objective is to see that our service wounded members receive the finest care available," Craig said.

According to VA officials, comments veterans make will be studied by the task force, used in the panel’s evaluation of gaps in service and form the basis of recommended solutions. In addition to Senator Dole and Secretary Shalala, other members include:

* Marc Giammatteo, a former U.S. Army captain whose leg was severely injured during an attack in Iraq . He has undergone more than 30 surgeries at Walter Reed.

* Jose Ramos, a student at George Mason University . While in the Navy, he treated soldiers injured in Iraq . In 2004, during his second tour of duty in Iraq , he lost an arm in combat.

* Tammy Edwards, a research assistant at the Geneva Foundation. In 2005, her husband was severely burned in Iraq when a 500-pound bomb exploded under his vehicle.

* Kenneth Fisher, chairman of the Fisher House Foundation, a nonprofit that builds "Fisher Homes" for families of hospitalized veterans.

* Dr. C. Martin Harris, a medical doctor who has served on other government and private commissions that have examined health care problems.

* Edward Eckenhoff, a leader president of the National Rehabilitation Hospital .

* Dr. Gail Wilensky, an economist and senior fellow at Project HOPE. She was Administrator of the Health Care Financing Administration from 1990-92, during the senior President Bush’ administration

That panel will complete its work on June 29. Related information: President Bush Meets with the President's Commission on Care for America's Returning Wounded Warriors

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And then, the Department of Veterans Affairs, the object of several recent investigations, epitomizes more unlearned lessons. The head of the VA is a political appointee; thus, VA officials typically echo what the White House stance is and not necessarily act as vigorous advocates for veterans’ interests (Max Cleland was a notable exception)…another unlearned lesson. When a “new” war is being conducted, veterans of prior wars, their families and programs are pushed to the bottom of the priority list. In the midst of the emotionally charged climate to support our forces in harm’s way, perhaps this is somewhat understandable---understandable, but absolutely not acceptable.

March 26, 2003

VBA Letter 20-03-11 http://www.warms.vba.va.gov/Admin20/LETTERS/vba03_11.doc

Director (00)

All VA Regional Offices and Centers

SUBJ: Operation Enduring Freedom & Operation Iraqi Freedom

This letter provides outreach and processing procedures for claims submitted as a result of Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom. Included are instructions for:

§ Obtaining benefits claims from service members, veterans, and survivors.

§ Physically and electronically identifying pending and completed Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom disability claims.

§ Managing and adjudicating disability and death claims.

§ Providing additional benefits and services as required.

September 23, 2003

VBA Letter 20-03-36 http://www.warms.vba.va.gov/Admin20/LETTERS/vba03_36.doc

Director (00)

All VA Regional Offices and Centers

Purpose

This letter provides information and instructions for outreach and claims processing procedures for casualties resulting from Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom (OEF/OIF). VBA Letter 20-03-11 dated March 26, 2003, provided initial information on processing claims from OEF/OIF service members and veterans. Since the letter was issued, the need to manage the cases of seriously disabled service members and veterans has become more apparent. VBA and VHA have developed case management procedures to provide seriously disabled (wounded, injured or ill) service members with a seamless transition to veteran status. VBA Letter 20-03-11 is rescinded and replaced by this letter.

March 8, 2005

VBA Letter 20-05-14 http://www.warms.vba.va.gov/Admin20/LETTERS/vba05_14.DOC

Director (00)

All VA Regional Offices

Purpose

This letter provides updated information and instructions for outreach and claims processing procedures for casualties resulting from Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom (OEF/OIF). VBA Letter 20-03-36, dated September 23, 2003, provided information on outreach, coordination, and claims processing for OEF/OIF service members and veterans. Since the letter was issued, the need to clarify and provide more detailed information on the management of cases of seriously disabled service members and veterans has become more apparent. VBA Letter 20-03-36 is rescinded and replaced by this letter.

What about me, what about us we get to go to the back of the bus and wait more years for our claims to be settled.

Betrayed

540% SC Schedular P&T

LOWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS AND THE VA WILL MEET THEM !!!

WEBMASTER BETRAYEDVETERAN.COM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You hit the street, you feel them staring you know they hate you you can feel their eyes a glarin'

Because you're different, because you're free, because you're everything deep down they wish they could be.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

"is encouraging veterans and their family members"

they haven't defined this as only for newly returning vets and their families-(Of course that is their focus) but

I sure am taking them up on the offer-

ANY chance we can get to possibly be heard by the Gov is a chance for veterans to change things for ALL vets and families not just the new vets from Iraq.

You men and women know what the Wounded Warriors are facing-

at some point long waiting times at VAMC s for appointments-

definitely long waits if present SC disabilities cause secondary conditions-in the future-

dependence on a 10 minute C & P exam- the results of which can control their lives for years-

and just because they are new vets- at some point they will become part of the vets community in general- and we all know how difficult that can be for any of you to get the care you need, when you need it, and to get proper compensation in your lifetimes.

Our Military still studies Lessons Learned from Vietnam.

So the Gov should be assessing Lessons Learned from disabled vets- already in the VA system for years-in order to properly treat and compensate our new combat veterans.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

They will hear from me but it will be about no cuts, first come first served......how long I've waited, how my family has lived in poverty waiting for the DVA to take cae of my pysch problems and settle my claim......

Betrayed

540% SC Schedular P&T

LOWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS AND THE VA WILL MEET THEM !!!

WEBMASTER BETRAYEDVETERAN.COM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You hit the street, you feel them staring you know they hate you you can feel their eyes a glarin'

Because you're different, because you're free, because you're everything deep down they wish they could be.

• HadIt.com Elder

I am not really optimistic about any real changes.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.