Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

30 percenter went to 50 now 90percenter but question

Rate this question

30percentermovingup

Question

Okay thanks to some part of this forum I am 90 percent. I have not gotten back my paperwork but want to ask a question anyways.

I recieved disability for everything I asked for, bilateral ankles, bilat knees, bilat hips. Yes everything was approved but most were 0 percent disability.

I had pain in all of it, shouldn't pain be a disability. I didn't ask for those, I was going for pain for the most part. Should they have given me pain since I was in moderate pain and some severe pain with these body parts. 

My knowledge is a retired trauma nurse but for some reason I can not wrap my head around how the VA disability math works or the whole system for that matter.

Can I fight this for my last 10 percent and have it back dated?

Thank you so much forum for all your help.

vadis.jpg

in the simplest terms, your 90% rating would go to 91% with one 10% increase or another claimed condition rated at 10%. So in order to get to 100% you would need a 50% increase, or a another condition rated at least 50% from the 90% where you already are.

Sgt. Wilky

Why are you so dead set on reaching that 100%? Are you able to work?

15 hours ago, Sgt. Wilky said:

in the simplest terms, your 90% rating would go to 91% with one 10% increase or another claimed condition rated at 10%. So in order to get to 100% you would need a 50% increase, or a another condition rated at least 50% from the 90% where you already are.

Sgt. Wilky

No, I am severely disabled and that last 1600 a month or so would help me out greatly.

3 minutes ago, broncovet said:

You posted: 

I noticed, in your disability list, there isnt anything on mental health issues. 

Its hard for me to imagine serving your country and getting the injuries you got, "without" PSTD, or other mental health trauma.  So, apply for that, too.  You may not have a diagnosis, yet, but, if you think you had a "stressor" in the military, then apply.  

"Some kind of trauma" must have happened for you to get all these ratings.  You see, if you served in a combat zone, that could be enough.  Does anyone here think that being worried about getting shot and killed, in a war, every night, would not be trauma?  Fortunately, I dont have to worry about being shot, because our military is protecting us 24 hours a day, seven days a week.   Of course, dont make anything up, but if you are suffering from mental symptoms, apply for that, too.  You will need to seek treatment, for those issues, also.  

When in doubt, file for increase, file for new benefits and file the NOD.  You have multiple disabilities, and its complex for that reason.  In the nod, I suggest you "dispute" both the effective dates, AND the disability percentages.  

It sounds like you are severly disabled, according to your post, and can not work, and you should get to 100 percent and probably smc also.

Never filed for mental health issues, see attachment, that is what I have. Plus I have every disc herniated, carpal tunnel from having to use a walker. I have a lot of conditions, didn't want to post 50 pages so just found two pages that had most mental on it. I will probably just go the next and do back, I can do lumbar thoracic and cervical. I don't like mental, I think everyone has ptsd and some mental problems and I don't like shrinks last time I was seeing a va shrink I felt like a zombie all the time.

list1dg.jpg

list2dg.jpg

16 hours ago, Sgt. Wilky said:

Sgt. Wilky

And now the math really doesn't make sense to me after you stated that lol.

Holy Smokes,

Have you gotten with a VSO or someone that can help you with your claims? You need to file as soon as possible for everyone one of those as @broncovet mentioned. You're right in that last $1600 is a big help. Don't give up this fight, you might even be entitled to SMC (of which I know nothing about).

Semper Fi,

Sgt. Wilky

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Wilky said:

Holy Smokes,

Have you gotten with a VSO or someone that can help you with your claims? You need to file as soon as possible for everyone one of those as @broncovet mentioned. You're right in that last $1600 is a big help. Don't give up this fight, you might even be entitled to SMC (of which I know nothing about).

Semper Fi,

Sgt. Wilky

Yes I am with Texas Veterans, the funny thing is they haven't helped me. They did what I could do and asked me a few questions, stuck them in the computer and that's it. They asked for a bilat pes planus increase which is impossible since I am at 50 percent. That was the only thing I was denied for but I sent a research paper in on everything I was claiming and I think that is what won it easy. As a retired trauma nurse I have access to some good medical school libraries. 
Now after what you told me I think my fight will be over for the last 10 percent with backpay. Since you say I would need another 50 percent. I could probably get it up 20 or 30 more but doubtful 50. I will try but I will not hold my breath. 

I think now that I will file for the increase and just add my lumbar, thoracic and cervical and just hope for the best. I could go for TDIU and I know I could get it but I want to work at walmart and be a greeter which is all about what I can do I want to be able to do that. I actually knew a guy that volunteered for the Fort Worth VA and had his tdiu taken with saying he was able to do that then he didn't need it. He handed out pamplets at the desk. He got it back but that would be a hassle in itself. VA does not have a good solid definition of gainful employment, they are broad in the description and it leaves it all up to interpretation. 

Thank you very much for your help Sgt. Wilky