VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD/anxiety CLAIM

Rate this question

hwill

Question

I was looking for some assistance, I'm currently having some issues I'm working through. I talked to VA back in April, I was dealing with the problems on my own. They seemed to get worst after covid started. My primary VA doctor stated that I possibly had PTSD and referred me to mental health. Due to covid the appointment was done via video conference. The psychiatrist doctor stated that I had anxiety disorder and depression. Anxiety disorder score 21, Depression score 23, Pcl score 5, Ptsd score 67. I'm currently taking Zolpihem for insomnia, and Prazosin for nightmare. I had an appointment with them via video about a month later about possible taking some class, I haven't done anything else since the last appointment. No in office visit, don't feel comfortable doing the group thing. I haven't attempted to file any claims yet. Any feedback on my next steps moving forward. I have a 6 months follow up with my primary doctor next month. Since I'm no longer working, I feel it's time to work on this. Thanks for any feedback.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

You indicated you had 80 percent but hadnt filed any claims.  You probably had to have filed claims to get your 80 percent, but you may have done that in service, BDD or something similar.  

Yes, if you are not working, you should either:

1.  File for an increase, including tdiu, especially if your doc said your unemployability is due to sc conditions.  

2.  File for new mental health conditions, including, but not limited to those diagnosed, above.  And, yes, you will need treatment.  VA probably is not going to award mental health benefits (depression, PTSD, etc) on "1" appointment, if you refuse ongoing treatments, either one on one or group.    Get in treatment, find a provider you are comfortable with.  Some Vets go to the Vet center for PTSD/depression treatment.  

You have "choices" for treatment, such as group, counseling, medications, etc, or some combination.  But refusing treatment will unlikely get you any additional benefits for mental health.  You need "ongoing" treatment for benefits.  Basically, the VA reasons "if YOU wont go for treatmen" why would they expect VA to pay you for mental health disorders?  You must think you dont need it, and if you think you dont need it enough to get treatment, why would VA think you should get compensated for it?"  

Its actually a good plan, because, too many Vets commit suicide, and, your chances are much better if you get treatment than if you dont.  While mental health treatment is not a "cure all", its definately better than "no treatment".  

The sooner you file, the sooner you will likely get your increase.  The more you delay, the longer it will take.  

The "bump" in compensation from 80 percent to 100 percent is huge.  For example, for married Vets, 80 percent is 2094 per month while 100 percent is $3823 per month.  (nearly double).  So, its up to you. 

You may also consider applying for social security if you have not already.  There is a waiting period there, so delaying filing will cost you money there also.  

Example:  You wait until (insert month and year) to file, and eventually get awarded 100 percent.  Your delay costs you 3800 per month in retro.  If you sent a claim in now, and it was received BEFORE Feb. 1, it will net you an additional 3800 in retro.  VA does not pro rate it on days, once your claim is RECEIVED by VA after Feb 1, you could get paid for that, too.  Its a little more complicated, but you dont get paid until the first of the month "following" the date you apply (more correctly, the effective date).

How much can you afford to delay?  (I wish I would have applied sooner).   

Edited by broncovet

Also, while we can help with questions, consider getting a VSO to help you file.  He should know all the forms, where to mail them to, and may even give good advice.  (But not always).  If in doubt about your VSO's actions, ask on hadit.  

Critically important, is your VSO needs to have VBMS access.  Ask before you sign up.  If he does not have VBMS access, he wont be able to help you as effectively.  VBMS access is access to your records, online, which can only be done with a VSO or attorney.  You can not get VBMS access at home without a VSO or other representative. 

Yes I’m currently at 80%, maybe it was misunderstood, I meant to say that I had only talked to the psychologist twice over the zoom and that I hadn’t attempted to file for anxiety or ptsd yet. The claims that I have were from when I retired and secondary increases. I was just starting the process for the anxiety and ptsd. I just started this after talking with my primary Va doctor and she said that I should talk to mental health after mentioning my issues. After talking to mental health the second time we had a group orientation on zoom and talked about some classes, I didn’t”t refuse any treatment nor have I started any. I was prescribed the medication for nightmares and insomnia. I was waiting for some feedback from my doctor to move forward. I have a appointment with her on the 7th of February. I think I have to call mental health back to initiate the process, not sure though. The didn’t meant it so that why I was asking the next step. Thanks for you feedback.

When I had first applied for PTSD in 2012, I was not seeking treatment from a psychiatrist, did not go to meetings etc. Just applied, proved my stressor and got a 50 rating. Now afterwards, I started treatments, classes etc, filed for an increase in 2017 and was awarded 70.

My opinion, if you have your ducks in  row, I would file now to avoid delays. If it doesn't work out, you can always appeal.

If you wait later, you might be in the same boat as to which you may have to appeal. More time added.  Just my opinion.