Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

flynsolo2

Question

**UPDATE**June 23, 2023

I had a virtual appointment with VERA yesterday. They told me that my claim was sent for RFD (they stated it stands for rate for decision) on June 13th and the check back in about 10 days or so. As of today, nothing has changed on the VA website, (or in the disability letters or payment history), but, I will keep checking, daily now, lol  and will keep everyone posted on how long this process has taken-for me, at least. Here's hoping they granted the 50% for cpap use (fingers crossed)

*****UPDATE******* MAY 9, 2023

It has now been just over 60 days, and there has been no movement or updates on my supplemental claim. I called the VERA line and they said they also see no updates or movement on their end. When I asked them on the steps to decision for a supplemental claim with new evidence, she said she did not know (such as claim received, claim being reviewed, gathering evidence, etc..)., or if it goes from claim received and is being reviewed to a decision? Does anyone know, because that is where my claim has been since they received it. Also, I don't know if this has anything with them getting ready to make a (favorable) decision or not, but, I did receive a dependent verification form; I have never received this form in my 20 years of benefits, but the agent on the phone told me they do this every 8 years? 

So, over 60 days later and still just waiting on a decision, for anyone wondering how long the supplemental claim process is currently. Also, if anyone happens to have any info on the steps/process until a decision, I would appreciate it. I tried looking online but cannot seem to find anything....

Okay Hadit Community,

So finally took the plunge and got an IMO letter from Dr. Anaise for my OSA secondary to PTSD (and he even included it secondary to GERD). I know there are a TON of factors, but looking to see, how long did it take the VA to make a decision once you submitted a secondary claim with an IMO? Additionally, when did the VA backdate your claim to? I looked it up on the VA website, but it sounds very confusing. So here is my claim: Submitted De. 2021. Denied Feb. 2022 (asked for extension for this claim because of how long a sleep study was going to take); sleep study given in July 2022. Secondary claim with IMO submitted March 2023.

I am assuming it will go from the March 2023 submittal date, but some have told me it's from the date shown of disability (sleep study)....I am just hoping for a ruling in my favor and to finally finish this uphill battle of 100%.....

Edited by flynsolo2

******UPDATE******* MAY 9, 2023

It has now been just over 60 days, and there has been no movement or updates on my supplemental claim. I called the VERA line and they said they also see no updates or movement on their end. When I asked them on the steps to decision for a supplemental claim with new evidence, she said she did not know (such as claim received, claim being reviewed, gathering evidence, etc..)., or if it goes from claim received and is being reviewed to a decision? Does anyone know, because that is where my claim has been since they received it. Also, I don't know if this has anything with them getting ready to make a (favorable) decision or not, but, I did receive a dependent verification form; I have never received this form in my 20 years of benefits, but the agent on the phone told me they do this every 8 years? 

So, over 60 days later and still just waiting on a decision, for anyone wondering how long the supplemental claim process is currently. Also, if anyone happens to have any info on the steps/process until a decision, I would appreciate it. I tried looking online but cannot seem to find anything....

The steps for a supplemental are the same as for a regular claim. A VSR develops the new evidence, submits it for an exam if needed, or sends it to a rater. Sometimes the rater determines that something needs to still be done, so they send it back to a vsr. Vsr completes whatever "it" was, then sends to the ratings queue. After that it's dependent on what station pulls it down and how backed up they are. If it was waiting for a VA c&p result then it's also dependent on getting the results of that, too. 

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

@brokensoldier244thahhhh. okay. So this was a denied claim and I submitted a IMO for it, along with the sleep study test the VA gave me after denial. So, wasn't sure if it still the same or not. My claim has said that a reviewer is reviewing the claims for over 60 days now...it is frustrating because I do not think they are reviewing my entire file again, and probably just looking at the sleep study and IMO. I just wish it would say it was still waiting to be looked at instead of saying they are reviewing it for over 60 days when I don't think they are spending those 60 days just looking at my claim alone. It's just frustrating when you do not see anything happening or moving on a claim. I am more nervous when I see some vets on Reddit saying that they have waited since December for secondary claim decisions.....I hope mine gets decided soon, I have been fighting this claim and the denials, for over 2 years already......

We are never "just looking at one someone's claim " on its own. It's either waiting for something internally, externally, a tiebreaker opinion, or it's in a queue getting electronically shuffled to the next smallest workload. A vso can look at it and tell you. The phone people can't see much, they don't have the same access level that we so. 

Edited by brokensoldier244th

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

@brokensoldier244th Thank you!! Good to know. I will contact my VSO and ask if he has any updates. I do wish that we, as the claimant/veteran could also see updates on our claims, no matter how small-just seeing movement in the claim helps. But, good to know what hold-ups could be......

Yea, the phone person on VERA seemed to know nothing about updates or the steps/process.

Thank you for your help...

• Community Owner
On 5/9/2023 at 4:20 PM, brokensoldier244th said:

We are never "just looking at one someone's claim " on its own. It's either waiting for something internally, externally, a tiebreaker opinion, or it's in a queue getting electronically shuffled to the next smallest workload. A vso can look at it and tell you. The phone people can't see much, they don't have the same access level that we so. 

You need to note that not all VSO's have the same access to the VBMS system. Here's an example. Some time ago I went to the VFW to get a C & P Exam that I wanted to challenge. What I was told was that out of 4 people in that office at the time none of them were certified claims agents. (You have to be a certified claims agents to access the VBMS system) They were trained in how to file claim by the VFW but were not certified claims agents. What that means is they were trained to fill out VA forms and how to submit them not how to do a fully developed claim. (aka form filers)