Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Getting a scooter

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

How bad off do you have to be to get a scooter paid for by the VA?  I have 40% combined on each of my feet. I have a hell of a time walking around the VAMC in Tampa.  I don't even use it any more if I have to go to the main hospital because it means lots and lots of walking.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I have been told by my VA doc. that I must be evaluated by a certain dept.  I will see about it.

• Community Owner

VOCREHAB doesn't only prepare you to go to work they also help you with quality of life. what this means is they will supply you with a scooter to improve your quality of life. (adaptive car etc) It's a process like everything else and you have to apply. They will do an evaluation on you to determine what they can provide you with to make your life better.

Make sure they are not setting you up to go back to work. Read all paperwork.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been thinking about getting like a golf cart for around my home..

I am also looking at getting a mobility scooter.

I am 100% disabled and have issues that are causing severe blood flow issues to my heart, and have had a heart attack and swelling legs when I walk or drive not far.

I am trying to figure out what to do. I try and walk as much as I can but suffer greatly. I vowed I would never go back to a wheel chair, but I can't fight it.

Do I just ask my primary care at the VA? about an electric scooter?

Thanx.

If you need a scooter, get one.  However, its my "unsubstantiated opinion" that, if you can avoid one, do so.  

Years ago, I worked in a nursing home.  I saw a pattern.   It was a "pattern of deterioration in health".  In a nutshell, people gradually do less and less and less, until they become "bed bound".  

For most, "bed bound" is the last stage of life.  Of course people recover from accidents all the time.

I read where "if you can walk" at least 3 mph, you have a good  chance of living at least 5  more years, pretty much regardless of age. 

However, if you can not walk, or can not walk at least 3 mph, you have a better chance of NOT being around in 10 years. 

I tried to find those statistics again, but no luck. 

In short, walking is good for you.  Walk for as long as you can to stay healthy.   

Yes, its true walking may well hurt.  But, if you continue walking, regularly, you may well find that pain becomes less, or even goes away.   I know, I have peripheral nueropathy.  

An object in motion tends to stay in motion, an object at rest tends to stay at rest.  That applies to us, also.  

Edited by broncovet