VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Initial Review to Evidence Gathering and Back to Initial Review

Rate this question

IndySam

Question

Hi All,

I submitted my first-ever claim on Feb 9th, I submitted another different claim for Allergic Rhinitis (hopefully covered under PACT Act.) on March 9th I think. 

It looks like on the VA site, they added my Allergic Rhinitis claim to the first Feb 9th claim. And Also the Feb 9th claim went backward to the initial review status. Is that normal and does that mean the length of time to wait for a decision starts over too?

I have completed a hearing test C&P and mental health C&P for the Feb 9th claim.

Thanks!! 🙂

Sam

Claim for compensation updated on March 27, 2023
We sent you a development letter
Submitted on: February 9, 2023

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

It's normal for claims that are submitted after the initial claim is opened to be summed to 1 claim as long as no decision had been made yet on the initiating claim. Claims can have partial decisions made on them while other issues are pending.

Switching back to initial review is normal because you added something to it, meaning new subtasks are now required for the new contentions. The state of the claim is overall, not by contention. 

We know waiting is "beyond" frustrating.  I lost my home waiting, so I know first hand.  And, the delays are unnecessary.  I was denied "even tho" I had all 3 caluza elements because a VA decision maker said, "its been too long since military service".  

"Time since military service" is NOT one of the criteria.  I appealed to the BVA, that took 2 years.  The BVA agreed with me, and awarded Service connection.  Now, its back to the Regional office who has to "implement" the board decision.  Guess what?  The Regional office "decided" I deserve 0 percent.  Almost 3 years in, and zip, zilch, nada benefits..and I told them I was about to lose my home, as I was unable to make house payments on zero income.  

Finally after about 4 years, I got partial benefits, but it was too little too late, and I lost my home.  My doctor gave me advice, which finally worked, and I will pass it on.  "Apply for pension" while waiting on compensation.  This of course, is if you meet the criteria, which includes that you make under about 11,000 a year.  

The VA "delayed me into homelessness".  The good news it gave me a resolve that I was gonna get my benefits and never give up.  If you have little or no income, apply for pension.  You see, VA is "supposed" to consider pension when you apply for comp.  I had no idea I was eligible and needed to apply, I relied upon my VSO, and VA employees doing their job, and neither did either.  

7 hours ago, IndySam said:

Thank you. I have no patience, I waited 17 years to file and now want it done yesterday! 

That was me too. I had to learn that I was mostly at fault for not filing in the first place.

4 minutes ago, brokensoldier244th said:

It's normal for claims that are submitted after the initial claim is opened to be summed to 1 claim as long as no decision had been made yet on the initiating claim. Claims can have partial decisions made on them while other issues are pending.

Switching back to initial review is normal because you added something to it, meaning new subtasks are now required for the new contentions. The state of the claim is overall, not by contention. 

Thank you. I have no patience, I waited 17 years to file and now want it done yesterday!