VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

OZEMPIC

Rate this question

NEEDHA

Question

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I'm getting Saxenda. They couldn't get Ozempic last year because of TikTok influencers promoting it so heavily,  and anyone with letters after their names writing prescriptions for anyone that asked about it. 

I did ask my doc about Ozympic and other weight loss drugs.  She went through several, and indicated I was not a good candidate for any of them.  (For one thing, I think Ozympic is for diabetics, and Im not one)

Interesting, Broken spoke.  And perplexing.  So, if I get what you are saying, VA's medications are "under the influence" of tic tok?"  Does anyone else think that is bizarre?  Maybe Im just old school, but getting ones information on tic tok does not seem like a credible source for either doctors, or medial decision makers. 

Instead, I get my information "the old fashioned way" with Facebook.  (Not really..Im not a facebook fan, and rarely go there. Its a joke). 

Speaking of facebook, I read where something like HALF of 13 year old girls are depressed Based mostly on social media posts.  This sounds like a great reason to keep kids off facebook, and social media to me.   

Edited by broncovet

47 minutes ago, broncovet said:

I did ask my doc about Ozympic and other weight loss drugs.  She went through several, and indicated I was not a good candidate for any of them.  (For one thing, I think Ozympic is for diabetics, and Im not one)

Interesting, Broken spoke.  And perplexing.  So, if I get what you are saying, VA's medications are "under the influence" of tic tok?"  Does anyone else think that is bizarre?  Maybe Im just old school, but getting ones information on tic tok does not seem like a credible source for either doctors, or medial decision makers. 

Instead, I get my information "the old fashioned way" with Facebook.  (Not really..Im not a facebook fan, and rarely go there. Its a joke). 

Speaking of facebook, I read where something like HALF of 13 year old girls are depressed Based mostly on social media posts.  This sounds like a great reason to keep kids off facebook, and social media to me.   

@brokensoldier244th was referring to the fact that that Tic Tok influencers were promoting it so heavily, that the drug was in great demand and shortages of it caused a lot of people who actually needed it for diabetes to have to find other drugs.  The VA was in line for it like everyone else.

OTOH, I tried to see if the VA would cover my Cosentyx. The VA said I didn't need it. I told the doctor they just didn't want to pay for it, and that I did need it. This is why I refuse to see the VHA. I'm afraid too, that they'll make my wife stop taking her Eliquis. My distrust of the VHA continues.

Semper Fi and Happy Independence Day,

Sgt. Wilky

Edited by Sgt. Wilky
Spelling and phraseology and such

Wilky got it in 1. 

It started slowly with a few celebs here and there, but then TikTok/FB/Reddit got on board and the manufacturers were slammed. Because weight loss is an off-use of liraglutide drugs the tolerances and specifics for getting a prescription are looser. There were plastic surgeons and health and wellness coaches that were getting it, whether through writing scripts legally or finding 'compounding pharmacies' that will reproduce a drug for you, slightly modified.  Saxenda was one manufacturer's answer to the issue. It's about 1/2 to 1/4 less effective, though- it mimics the same formula in a lot of ways except for the chemical makeup of some of the isomers. 

VA, while a govt contract and a guaranteed purchaser, does not have any real horsepower in being at the front of the line. Normally it works that way because they buy so much of everything from the manufacturers but in the face of such an explosion of demand being driven by the internet the VA was impacted by shortages. Getting Ozempic for diabetics was even a problem according to my MOVE coordinator, which is why I was given Saxenda. 

While it is not nearly as effective as 'melts it off' and it has to be microinjected every day, it doesn't have the same level of side effects as Ozempic. Sure there may be some slight nausea as you titrate the dose up from beginning to full (over about 6 weeks), but you have some of it in your system all the time. Ozempic has stronger side effects and acts as a 'negative reinforcement' to not eat shitty or too much at one time while taking it. 

As I am slightly overweight I inquired at Reno VA PCP Clinic and they said could refer me to nearest VA clinic that prescribed Ozympic in Berkley California that is a least a 5 hour drive away.

I changed my mind anyway after reading about the side effects that includes sagging facial muscles and premature aging look.  No thanks as pure grapefruit juice also kills the appetite for short periods of time and is good for you.

Been on Ozympic for a couple of years now(once a week shot).  Diabetic.  Has done nothing for weight loss.  But, might be because I don't take it daily, don't know.  VA supplies it.  Does help with my diabetes.