Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Complete disregard for information during exam. Veterans are stuck?

Rate this question

Riplip

Question

OK, this is kind of a question I feel I know the answer too already but here we go. I had a C&P last week for limitation of right ankle. I gave the examiner copies of all my records. We went over them, she agreed with me and made it sound like a very positive exam. All my paperwork was in order and pretty cut and dry. My lawyer sent me a copy of her notes and its completely opposite of what it was. She checked the least likely box and her notes stated Separation exam shows exam not found, shows only an exam from 2011 when veteran separated in 2000. I gave her a copy of exam notes from August of 98 from Guthrie medical center at Ft. Drum stating ankle pain and Achilles tendonitis. I gave her a copy of my separation exam stating my ankles get swollen and hurt after much stress. What gets me is how can they do this? Now I have to wait for a HLR or a Appeal for years because of this? I feel this should be against the law and I should be able to press charges against the examiner....I'm sorry about the vent but is it really this way where we can't do anything to help ourselves? Thanks for listening. Any input is appreciated as well. 

On 8/1/2023 at 8:03 AM, brokensoldier244th said:

If your claim is not yet decided then call the call center and also upload a separate 21-4138, and if you have a VSO, tell them, also. All three contacts will come into your folder and each will trigger 'new mail/activity' and force your claim to be auto-pulled from the national queue and looked at. Make sure you clearly and succinctly explain on the phone, and also write what you wrote above- more or less- illustrating the information that was provided and that exists vs. what the write up says. 

I can't find anywhere to upload the 21-4138 form. Doesn't provide a location when I hit on my claim. I am just in the claim status on VA,gov. Is this the right spot? Thanks

GO to your claim, click on details, then the Files tab, then Add

image.png.07ce82fb94aaa7e169808192f0e6d58a.png

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

Thank you Brokensoldier. Is that # in the right side of that screen shot the one I call? 

Yes. When you do, the notes of the call they type up on an 27-0820- basically a contact report, that gets uploaded to your file. Since it is 'new mail' it triggers the claim to be viewed by somebody by pulling it out of queue and assigning it to someone, usually one of 'us'. 

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I also encountered the same problem as @Riplip numerous times with C&P examiners.

In each case, competent medical evidence was provided and/or available to them and we discussed it thoroughly. They said it was clearly favorable.

My VSO was able to provide me with a copy of the C&P findings each time days before the decision letter was entered into the system. The opinion was less likely than not. The examiner completely failed to mention or consider the favorable evidence. I called the call center, sent an IRIS message, and even the VSO contacted the VA. However, a couple of weeks later a denial letter arrived which also failed to consider favorable evidence. I ended up winning via HLR about a year later.

When the VA took away the 48 hour VSO decision review, this amplified the problem. Even though my VSO did not always catch the errors I found during the review, sometimes they did.

With the VA actively preventing vets from obtaining the C&P findings, we vets don't know there is an issue until we receive the denial letter. By then, the claim has been closed and we are stuck with supplemental, HLR, or BVA routes which simply makes those queue lines longer...

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.