Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P EXAM

Rate this question

Spaceace1954

Question

I just recently received award for HTN by BVA how do I get a copy of the original Exam?

It has been 5 plus years and I am not sure were the exam took place. 

I checked my healthyvet but did not find anything for the date they ref.

Thank you for any info you guys/gals can provide.

There are at least 2 ways to get a copy of that exam, but VA has a well deserved reputation for keeping Veterans in the dark AND not following their own rules.  

1.  Contact your VSO (with VBMS access) and get a copy from him/her.  

2.  Go to your local VAMC, and ask for it.  Since you apparently dont know the date, this could involve asking for all your medical records.  (Its a good idea to have your medical records, so that wont hurt).  

My VAMC (release of information office) will give you a copy of "a few pages" of records right now if you ask.  But, if you want hundreds of pages, they will print those for you, but mail those to you, and that will take several days.  I can not say "what" your VAMC ROI office' policy is, but this is mine.  

If you have a va.gov account, you can go to the web site and schedule an appointment with your local VARO to go in and request a copy of your C & P exam. As Bronco stated, this may still take the VA some time to process your request for a copy depending on if you had your C & P exam with the VAMC or a contract examiner because the VA wants to hold the best cards in making a decision.

Want a copy of your claim exam?

You can obtain a copy of your claim exam (also known as a compensation and pension, or C&P, exam) by contacting your nearest regional office.

Years ago, veterans were getting their exams from the VAMC and getting a nexus letter/statement to refute or argue any bad VAMC medical opinion so the VARO started getting contract C & P exams. If you had a contract C & P exam, the only way to get a copy of the exam is to contact the VARO and request a copy in writing.

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

Having the date of the exam makes it easier either way.  

Of course, I have no idea whether or not your exam will be included in either your medical records or in your VBMS file, but it should be in at least one, as evidenced by your post stating it was condsidered by the BVA.  If it was considered by the bva then it should be in your vbms file.  However, it would still be easier (that is, less waiting) to obtain it at your vamc by going to your release of information office and asking.  

While neither of these guarantees the VA did not lose or destroy your evidence, at least you can try.  

Further, as pacman stated, we dont know if it was a va exam or one of the contractors such as qtc, and we further dont know if va included it in your medical records at your vamc or not, either.  

Edited by broncovet

• Community Owner

This may have changed as it was about a year ago I tried to get a C & P Exam from the VA Hospitals records. When I did they said they did not have them. As they are important as to what your next move is you should make an appointment at you Regional Office. Try this site https://va.my.site.com/VAVERA/s/

The VA is "not a unified body".   Its easy to assume that a VA employee telling a Veteran (xxy), means that rule is VA wide.  

VA has wide discretion to alter rules locally.  Its entirely possible, or even likely, that Rattler's local VAMC does not permit Veterans to get a copy of their c and p exam, while Im aware that my VAMC allows Veterans to get copies of their records upon the Veteran signing a release of information, at the VAMC medical records office.  

We saw quite a bit of this in the military, the rules for combat Veterans in Iraq are quite different than for troops stationed in the the USA.  And, there are good reasons for that.