VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va education and monthly pay question

Rate this question

Kadyr

Question

This is about education. I’m 100% totally and permanent disable due to service connected disabilities (PTSD 70%, TBI 10% and others at 10%). So my question is, Can I go to school and finish a 4 year degree, but still get pay the same amount till I get my bachelors to find something better? 

VA has told me, I can go to school, but VA will treat that as I’m getting better, so within a year my rating MIGHT go down. Which is fine with me, however, is that really true that while I’m doing a 4 year plan degree, my rating will get revised? or do they wait till I finish my degree and then find a job so that then my rating will get revised again? 

What I’m trying to see is, why lower my payments if I want to just go to school now, so that later I can find a job. 

I’m confuse, I’m sorry and if I’m being repetitive, then that’s another reason as to why I should go to school 😬 thank you to those who give me a clear answer or somewhere to look this up. 

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

6 answers to this question

Technically, in order for the VA to reduce your TDIU they must prove you have improved and are capable of sustained employment.  The ability to attend school and work are two different things.  I hope you are receiving SSDI, also.

Short answer: Yes. (Likely, but no guarantee).  

To reduce your benefits, the VA needs to show you "actually improved" under ordinary conditions of life, and that improvement is sustained.  (Since you are P and T, its not a temporary rating).  

However, read this carefully and see if you think you could be reduced.  YOu obviously know much more about your health than we ever will, so you know what applies to you and what does not:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.344

Both 38 cfr 3.334 A and B should apply to you, since you are P and t.  Its explained in part C.  

In 1987 I was rated at 50% for PTSD in effect for two years and the Waco VA VOCAB counselor approved my application for completing a two year college degree in finance and accounting and in 89 I graduated with an A grade.

During this time I continued to receive my PTSD 50% rating plus additional stipend of over $300.00 per month from VOCAB and they also payed for all cost such as books, fees, tuition, supplies, etc., etc.

A year after i graduated they reduced me to 30% after annual C&P exam and in 91 my PTSD was terminated.  In 1998 my PTSD was reinstated at 70% with TDIU and in 2000 this was made P&T TDIU and now over 20 years at 100% scheduler with SMC-S.

After many written test and several interviews the VOCAB counselor said I would not finish the college course but I of course showed the arrogant puke with a final A grade.

combinededitedcroppedperkins507thDustoffmedevacUH-1Hrescuehoist.jpg.7c3053794369e014e2ea83de19f3fbaf.jpg

Edited by Dustoff1970

Well Kadyr I gave you a good answer to your question using my real life experience as an example in my first above comment.  Did you or not see this answer??????

Many vets seeking help here never acknowledge the valuable answers given to their questions.  Another form of vet rudeness.

My personal comments are my own and I am not  a forum owner, admin or moderator.combinedphotoofWOPerkinsinUH-1HdustoffandUpliftDustoff.jpg.3a1cba1b94292e66165bdd46db80653c.jpg

Edited by Dustoff1970

On 9/8/2023 at 6:59 PM, Kadyr said:

This is about education. I’m 100% totally and permanent disable due to service connected disabilities (PTSD 70%, TBI 10% and others at 10%). So my question is, Can I go to school and finish a 4 year degree, but still get pay the same amount till I get my bachelors to find something better? 

VA has told me, I can go to school, but VA will treat that as I’m getting better, so within a year my rating MIGHT go down. Which is fine with me, however, is that really true that while I’m doing a 4 year plan degree, my rating will get revised? or do they wait till I finish my degree and then find a job so that then my rating will get revised again? 

What I’m trying to see is, why lower my payments if I want to just go to school now, so that later I can find a job. 

I’m confuse, I’m sorry and if I’m being repetitive, then that’s another reason as to why I should go to school 😬 thank you to those who give me a clear answer or somewhere to look this up. 

I just want to remind you and folks here that anything the VA employee states should be written.  People who answer questions on the phone or in person are most often the lowest people on the totem pole, as far as employment length and competency.  Employees are not held liable for errors (or outright lies).  For most of us we usually call just because it's easier, but a written response is provable, in case of an error and can result in a retro future win.

• Greeter

All I can recommend is stay on top of it with a Voc rehab officer. As some are shady. Use the regs to your advantage and go for that master’s degree if needed. You can always or usually get an extension if you have good cause. You are only assumed to be better if your records reflect that it must also show with two or more c&p exams that you improved.  School is school and work is another. Not sure if you are tdiu but in that instance you would be considered better if you worked for 12 straight months of substantial gainful employment. Regardless I don’t think that’s your case. Just remember school is not working or reflect how your conditions have improved or worsened. I wish you the best of luck