VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Travel Mileage Claim Rejected-Status “Fiscal Rescinded”

Rate this question

seejeremy

Question

Hi everyone. I have been filing travel claims for community care referrals that are about 4 hours round trip from my house. Today I noticed that one of them was denied and the status is “fiscal rescinded.”  The website doesn’t tell me what that means other than I can’t appeal. My local travel office is closed on Thursdays “so that they can catch up on claims processing.”  Does anyone know what this status means?  I have been reimbursed for appointments to this community care provider several times in the last few months, so I’m confused. 
Thank you. 

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If you go to the BVA chairmans report, you will see that "compensation" is not the only thing BVA appeals.  

https://www.bva.va.gov/Chairman_Annual_Rpts.asp.  After selecting a year, such as 2022 (the most recent available), scroll down about 30 pages to "statistics", where it shows stuff like percentages granted, percent denied, percent remanded, and its even "parsed" out to representation.  In other words DAV has its "win percent" at BVA for year 2022, as do the others, including pro se.  

Veterans file appeals to denials for many things, altho VA compensation is the biggest.  You can appeal a DIC denial, an ILP denial, cemetary issue denial, and more.  

I dont see why you can not appeal a travel denial, given your set of circumstances.  You would need to decide if its worth it for you.  

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@Rattler Good luck getting the Birmingham VA travel office to answer the phone. Every time I have called it rings forever.

@seejeremy You might want to make sure your community care authorization is still valid. I get hosed up when running out of visits because in my case they only provide a limited window with a limited number of visits. My doc requests renewals from the VA community care office which regularly gets ignored. By the time they get to it, they said I have to go back to square one and get re-authorized all over again. I don't have the same medical issues as you, but I do know that in some cases they have the ability to authorize longer windows like a year or possibly longer. I hope they get you sorted out. Definitely get the patient advocate involved. I have had them intervene when travel did stupid stuff and had positive results.

• Community Owner
On 10/22/2023 at 1:26 PM, Vync said:

@Rattler Good luck getting the Birmingham VA travel office to answer the phone. Every time I have called it rings forever.

@seejeremy You might want to make sure your community care authorization is still valid. I get hosed up when running out of visits because in my case they only provide a limited window with a limited number of visits. My doc requests renewals from the VA community care office which regularly gets ignored. By the time they get to it, they said I have to go back to square one and get re-authorized all over again. I don't have the same medical issues as you, but I do know that in some cases they have the ability to authorize longer windows like a year or possibly longer. I hope they get you sorted out. Definitely get the patient advocate involved. I have had them intervene when travel did stupid stuff and had positive results.

Vync I go through the same stuff as you do. My community care doc is within 5 miles of where I live so no traval. The person who does the community care stuff for him can't find her but with both hands. She wanted to argue with me that it was against the law for her to contact community care about an issues that the doc found on my last visit with my hands. She also tried to tell me that he could only see me for follow-up on the total knee when the referral said knees, hips, and right shoulder.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@Rattler Sounds familiar. The whole community care and mileage debacle comes with too much red tape. I have had to talk with the patient advocate to get switched to a more competent community doc, but also to deal with mileage issues. Even after that, I am still waiting on them to approve my next round of community care... Seems like the system was designed more to give people more paperwork to do than to ensure the needs of veteran patients are met first.