Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claiming erectile dysfunction

Rate this question

Chief1997

Question

I suffer from erectile dysfunction. I am considering applying for ED as secondary to my High blood pressure and on my sleep apnea, I am service connected for both of these conditions. I was recently approved for high blood pressure/hypertension under the pact act. I have had blood pressure issues for many years, in the past year. My cardiologist at the VA has had to increase my blood pressure medicine and add on a new additional blood pressure medicine soon after the medication adjustment my ED came significantly worse. The cardiologist switched me to a different blood pressure medicine my ED did not improve. my question, would it be best to ask for service connection for ED based on both OSA and hypertension or simply just ask for it secondary to hypertension? And lastly, would I need a doctors opinion saying my ED is secondary to hypertension? Or could I simply submit medical journals stating that my ED is related to, and secondary to my hypertension and or OSA?

Edited by pacmanx1

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• Greeter

Do you take any mental health medications that could affect your ed? I would go the secondary route of ed secondary to hypertension because blood flow in the body greatly affects that region of the body. Granted I’m not a dr and recommend that you get a statement in support.

P.S. I would not go the route of sleep apnea but that is up to you.

Edited by Dot09

I hope you don't mind I corrected your Title. I hate typos. Where would I be without spellhceck. 😵‍💫

All the best.

Pacman

Edited by pacmanx1

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

3 hours ago, Chief1997 said:

And lastly, would I need a doctors opinion saying my ED is secondary to hypertension? Or could I simply submit medical journals stating that my ED is related to, and secondary to my hypertension and or OSA?

A doctors opinion connecting it secondary never hurts.  Stating medical journals would be a waste of time.

• Greeter

I agree with el train. It is pointless for you to cite articles on your free time. It is just a waste of time as the Va doesn’t consider you a dr or your submission of articles. The veterans statement in support has little value as they want the evidence and dr statement of a nexus. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Stating medical journals IS NOT a waste of time. They will take notice and sometimes it will put your claim over the top. I have done this since 2007 and have had positive results in the past. A nexus statement from a doc is a must, though.

90%, TDIU P&T

• Greeter

Rentalguy 
Agree to disagree. Im not saying the BVA can’t see weight in it. But I was only say that it is pointless to take articles and such to an c&p examiner. They often get upset and say they have everything on record or are offended that you brought them.