Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Made the 5 year hurdle

Rate this topic

El Train

• HadIt.com Elder

After I got TDIU P&T in 2001 I have filed 7 other claims all of which have been successful.  I have never been called in to have my original claim looked at in the last 20 years.  VA is too busy with PACT to go after old claims.   They have many thousands of new claims to worry about.  

On 12/21/2023 at 12:46 PM, El Train said:

A mini milestone for me.  Made the 5 year rule at 100% P&T, SMC-S.  Not sure why I'm telling everyone but have to tell someone.  The 10 year will even be better.  Hope I can hold on that long.

Due to the fact that you are rated 100% P & T SMC-S. It is not likely that the VA would schedule you for any type of C & P exams. If you are/were being treated by the VAMC, that would be your only appointment schedule, but the VA would not try to schedule you for benefit evaluations. When a P & T rating is granted/awarded, it is basically determined that your current disabilities would most likely last for the rest of your life. Now if you file for an increase or for a higher SMC rating, then the VA may schedule you for a C & P exam but that is only if you put in for an increase. You can relax and let the good times go by. 

• HadIt.com Elder

If you file for A&A or for a new claim then VA will probably just give you a C&P for the A&A or the new claim.  They just have too much on their plate with hundreds of thousands of new claims under PACT and with aging vet population.  Older vets have more wrong with them and their conditions tend to get worse.  

• HadIt.com Elder
27 minutes ago, john999 said:

If you file for A&A or for a new claim then VA will probably just give you a C&P for the A&A or the new claim.  They just have too much on their plate with hundreds of thousands of new claims under PACT and with aging vet population.  Older vets have more wrong with them and their conditions tend to get worse.  

Been there, am there, doing that.  Including getting delayed on the A&A claim and "dedicated care" (VAH) request.  How many know about dedicated care.  It can be your family or friend or a contractor like Home Instead.  For now I am getting Home Instead.  VA pays Home Instead.  But you can get a family member or friend to do it.  Pay them and get respite through Home Instead according to Home Instead.  According to the Social Worker I spoke to, the only way you get respite for your care giver is to check in to a State Veteran's Home.  Suspect the VA is trying to push care off onto the States.

Anyone have any experience with "dedicated care"?

Five years is not a goal, maybe a hurtle, but not certainaly not a goal in any sence of the word. Ten, or even twenty years are also not goals. So many consider 100% to be the goal. Actually the goal should be when you obtain all of the benefits that you are entitled to. 

When, and if you get to 100%, then look at the SMC awards. See if you might qualify for a K, or the S award. Then take a look at the L,  L-1/2  M,  M-1/2 the N the N 1-2 and the O, awards. Then the R-1 , R-2, and the T awards. Check to see if you might qualify for an automobile grant, adaptive equipment, specially adaptive housing, or even a HISA grant, Take a look at the PCAFC caregiver's program and check on the independent living pregram through VR&E.

My goal was an R-2 rating, along with level 2 PCAFC caregiver's benefits. I wanted the HISA grant and the Specially Adaptive Housing grant. I wanted the automobil grant with adaptive equipment. I wanted to get into  the Independent Living Program. 

I achieved my goal when I was awarded all of those things to which I was entitled and to which I speak of here. Back in 2005, when I was finally granted my 100%, had I thrown in the towel and told the VA that I wanted no more exams, none of those other benefits would have been possible or realized.

Agreed, not everyone can qualify for these mentioned benefits, but educate yourself and be all that you can be.

• HadIt.com Elder
3 hours ago, john999 said:

Been there, am there, doing that.  Including getting delayed on the A&A claim and "directed care" (VAH) request.  How many know about dedicated care.  It can be your family or friend or a contractor like Home Instead.  For now I am getting Home Instead.  VA pays Home Instead.  But you can get a family member or friend to do it.  Pay them and get respite through Home Instead according to Home Instead.  According to the Social Worker I spoke to, the only way you get respite for your care giver is to check in to a State Veteran's Home.  Suspect the VA is trying to push care off onto the States.

Anyone have any experience with "directed care"?

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use