Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veteran homelessness increases 12% from 2022 to 2023: Study

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

Source:

https://www.newsweek.com/study-veterans-understand-rising-homelessness-opinion-1854668

At about that same time, the VA backlog increased.  

Coincidence?  Not!  

They did not interview me, a former homeless Veteran who became homeless because the VA denied my claim "even when I had" all 3 Caluza elements.   And, then, after a 2 year appeal, the VARO "Implemented" my appeal at zero percent.  

And, further, it was in my file, that I was "unable to find a job", and I had expected to lose my home soon.  

The VA could have, but did "not" infer pension, even tho I qualified for it which would have prevented homelessness during the long 17 year fight to win benefits.  I did not understand the differences between "pension" and "compensation", and did not apply for pension because I had no clue.  VA rules is that a claim for compensation is a claim for pension, but did they catch that?  No.  I fell between the cracks multiple multiple multiple times.  

My doctor suggested I apply for pension, and I did, and it was awarded, too little too late to save my home from foreclosure.  

The solution to Veteran homelessness is, in no small part (an at least in my case) :

Deliver our benefits timely..not in years or decades, after multiple, multiple appeals.  

The VA needs someone who looks over the claims to do nothing but "find" Veterans who "fell through the cracks", and, the VA has the resources to provide same, but they wont, because it saves them money to make more homeless Vets.  

VA uses "homeless Veterans" as a marketing tool to manipulate congress into giving them "still more money" which is squandered again the following year.  

Edited by broncovet

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I once volunteered to work with Operation Stand Down, Nashville. You can't throw money at homlessness and fix it. Some people just choose to be homeless. We would pick up the same veterans off of the streets and homless camps every year.  Those veterans were put up in accommodations for three days. They got showers, hair cuts, new clothes, medical check up. They got dental and they went before a judge where they got all minor violations expunged and fines forgiven. They got help with filing VA benefits and compensation claims were filed for them with an expedited status.

At the end of the three day period, they were given a choice. They could leave with a back pack and all of the clothes that they could carry, or they could stay. If they chose to stay, they would get permanent housing and the red tape would be cut for them to get a really good full time job. Out of a group of three hundred veterans, ten might stay, and they would end up being homeless drifters on the streets again. We picked up the exact same veterans year after year. The program turned out to be an expensive failure and the program was discontinued.

Unbelievably, some of these guys would go to their PO box and get their VA disability check on the first of the month and be back on the street corner the very next day begging. It is not a situation for these guys, but a preferred way of life. You can't throw money at it and fix it.

I do admit that there are some truly homeless people out there who can't help their situation, but most in that catagory are not veterans and there is very little help available for them. 

Well, yes.  We cant fix people who choose to be homeless.  However, "I promise" I did not choose to be homeless.  Instead, I was forced into homelessness by an inept, VA who was unable to timely deliver my benefits at a time when I needed them most.  

I had a cousin who had "abdominal pain".  He chose to not seek treatment for about a year.  Finally, his sister brought him kicking and screaming to the ER.  After some testing, he had some type of sepsis, and was dead inside of about a week.  

It was an unnecessary death, based on his poor choice to forego treatment, much, much earlier.  Even a month earlier, he would have responded to treatment.  He was about 50 years old.  

People make bad choices.  They choose to abuse alcohol and or drugs.  Often homelessness involves one or more of these.  

My homelessness did not.  I never have had an alcohol or drug problem.  I had a poverty problem because I was unable to work due to sc conditions, and unable to get benefits for too many years to prevent homeless ness.  

Timely delivery of benefits wont cure all homelessness.  Just us who do not want to be homeless.  

A friend of mine once said,

"If you have an alcohol or drug problem, you are going to have other problems:  Money problems, relationship problems, work problems, and, housing problems.  You wont be able to solve any of the other problems until you solve the alcohol or drug problem first."

"Money" wont solve an alcohol or drug problem.  Sometimes, it will even fuel it.  

The city of Reno has a very good program for helping the homeless street folks with all kinds of aid, benefits, etc. and yet a great many prefer to live on the street pushing their piled up belongings along in grocery carts and erecting temporary tent encampments at roving locations and of course begging in parking lots and street corners.   The fact is many are violent people with mental illness and ex cons convicted of violent crimes against others.  Very common in all large cities and they will act threatening to get what they want.

Some of the beggars have modern cars parked nearby.

How many are veterans I do not know but now days the VA and charities have all sorts of aid and housing and medical benefits for homeless vets including pensions for just being poor plus many get a disability check from SSA or VA instead of pension.  I am amazed at all the benefits that "poor" vets receive from VA and charities that exceed in money value my 100% disability check.  So to heck with them for staying on the streets.

I have experienced this first hand in Reno and other large cities so must always be cautious in our "safe and secure" USA.  Society should be protected from violent people regardless of the cause for their being violent. Many use Mental illness as a front or excuse for their threat against others and the stinking courts by into this crap everywhere.

498thDustoffbannerwithpatches-Copy(2)-Copy.JPG.d8c840dee186d6073f50f6d3c2c407c9.JPG

Edited by Dustoff1970

On 12/28/2023 at 9:25 AM, Dustoff1970 said:

I am amazed at all the benefits that "poor" vets receive from VA and charities that exceed in money value my 100% disability check.   

I'm one of those "poor" vets.  I receive pension w/homebound.  About $1680 month.  For a few months out of the year, I get help with electric/water payments.  Last I checked, all that does not even come close to what 100% sc pays.  So, if you could point me in the right direction for these amazing benefits us "poor" vets receive that amounts to more than you get I would greatly appreciate it.  

This is not an attack, it is an honest request for info on these benefits you speak of, so please don't misunderstand.   I'm raising two grandkids so could use the extra help.  

7 minutes ago, spirit_grt said:

This is not an attack, it is an honest request for info on these benefits you speak of, so please don't misunderstand.   I'm raising two grandkids so could use the extra help.  

I would think that the simplest answer would be is to try to file for service-connected disability claims, once the VA considers your disabilities are military related, then you could possibly get compensation benefit instead of pension benefits. We have no idea of your symptoms and or what is in your records, but you should review them very carefully to see if you have any disabilities that could be considered as service related and go from there. 

How Are Pension Benefits And Disability Compensation Different? | Veterans Affairs (va.gov)

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

3 hours ago, spirit_grt said:

Okay here is just one recent example.  In the city of Reno, Nevada low income veterans are allowed to stay in very modern nice apartments for around $500.00 per month with amenities.  These are often called senior apartments but for all low income folks. The same type apartment cost on the open market over 2000 per month easily.  I am staying in an older apartment complex with limited amenities for over $1800.00.  Here is another one low income veterans with or without VA pension can get the same free VA dental and VA health care that I receive at a 100% rating.  Plus low income veterans and others get all sorts of state county health and other benefits and many qualify for medicaid plus SSDI sometimes.  Additionally there are many non profit organizations that provide free meals to low income folks and seniors and then there are special shopping times and discounts.  There are even more that i cannot not recall at this time.   In terms of dollars this all adds up to more than i receive and my 100% disability pay from VA disqualifies me for most of the above items. Many pharmacies provide free or heavy discounted medications for low income folks.  Also low income folks receive discounts on utilities and discounts just about everywhere on everything.

You need to do your research as you are missing out on many good benefits as others like you are doing just fine being low income including those on welfare.  Soon you will have a lot more company from south of the border as they will receive all you are getting.

combinedburningDustoffwithPerkinsPurpleHeartcertificate.png.fa3a7ceae35dc3d47e06a5a3217db7aa.png

Edited by Dustoff1970