VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Benefit wise...What happens when I die??

LESASSIER

Question

My wife and I are trying to understand whether she will continue to receive my funds.  I am currently being paid at the 100% rating for my disability.  What things must I do to prepare with The VA upon my demise? 

No, upon your demise your wife will not receive your funds. Depending upon your circumstances, your wife may, or may not qualify for DIC payments as a sole surviving spouse.

If you die of service related causes, or if service related causes are listed on your death cirtificate as a contributing factor, she would qualify for DIC payments. Otherwise, if you are rated at 100% for ten years or more immediately preceding your demise, and have been married to the same surviving spouse for the same ten year period immediately preceding your death, she would qualify for $16,24.75 per month at the 2024 DIC pay rate.

If your wife first qualifies under the ten year rule, then, and only then, the vA will drop back and give consideration to the eight year rule. If you was 100% for the eight years immediately preceding your death, and you was married to her for the same eight years proceeding your death, then she would also qualify for a pay bump due to qualifying under the eight year rule. The additional pay for the eight year rule is as follows.

If you are rated as totally disabled as a result of a service-connected disability for at least eight continuous years preceding death, your spouse is entitled to an additional $246. An additional $286 is payable for each dependent child.

I would suggest that you click on the link below and watch the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHz4PDvENMw

I hope this clears up your lack of understanding.

Edited by shrekthetank1
The amount was far off from what is shown

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, jamescripps2 said:

No, upon your demise your wife will not receive your funds. Depending upon your circumstances, your wife may, or may not qualify for DIC payments as a sole surviving spouse.

If you die of service related causes, or if service related causes are listed on your death cirtificate as a contributing factor, she would qualify for DIC payments. Otherwise, if you are rated at 100% for ten years or more immediately preceding your demise, and have been married to the same surviving spouse for the same ten year period immediately preceding your death, she would qualify for $16,24.75 per month at the 2024 DIC pay rate.

If your wife first qualifies under the ten year rule, then, and only then, the vA will drop back and give consideration to the eight year rule. If you was 100% for the eight years immediately preceding your death, and you was married to her for the same eight years proceeding your death, then she would also qualify for a pay bump due to qualifying under the eight year rule. The additional pay for the eight year rule is as follows.

If you are rated as totally disabled as a result of a service-connected disability for at least eight continuous years preceding death, your spouse is entitled to an additional $246. An additional $286 is payable for each dependent child.

I would suggest that you click on the link below and watch the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHz4PDvENMw

I hope this clears up your lack of understanding.

Edited by shrekthetank1
changed the amount paid out

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
14 hours ago, jamescripps2 said:

she would qualify for $16,012.74 per month at the 2024 DIC pay rate

@jamescripps2 I think that amount is just a bit off... Per https://www.va.gov/disability/survivor-dic-rates, the 2024 base DIC rate is $1624.75. 

@LESASSIER The video provided by @jamescripps2 is really helpful. There are other calculations that can factor in depending on your circumstances at https://www.va.gov/disability/survivor-dic-rates.

Keep in mind I do not know much about DIC, but hope the information is helpful.

You might find what you are looking for at the link below. Make shure that your wife has a certified copy of your DD-214. A certified copy has the seal embossed in it that can be felt with your fingers. You might provide her with at least three copies.

https://www.va.gov/disability/dependency-indemnity-compensation/

It is purely a coincidence, but the topic to be discussed on the 10/11/2024 Exposed Vet radio podcast is exactly pertaining to your question that you have posed in this thread about what does your wife do, and what will she need upon the occasion of your demise.

To listen in, about two minutes before 6:00 PM Central time, dial (515) 605-9764. you will be able to listen to the show. If you have a question or a comment, press 1 at any time and you will be able to communicate with the host,  John Stacey and co host Ray Cobb.

I suggest inviting your wife to listen in and be prepared to take some notes.