VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cervical Spine Rating

Rate this question

Chief1954

Question

Greetings

How would my service connected cervical spine be rated?

THERE IS REVERSAL OR NORMAL LORDOTIC CURVATURE OF CERVICAL SPINE WHICH MAY BE RELATED TO MUSCLE SPASM OR TRAUMA. HYPERTROPHIC CHANGES ARE SEEN IN THE CERVICAL SPINE. THERE IS NARROWING OF THE DISC SPACES BETWEEN C3 AND C5 AND POSTERIOR SPUR FORMATION IN MULTIPLE LEVELS. THESE FINDINGS INDICATE SPONDYLOSIS. PERIVERTEBRAL SOFT TISSUES ARE UNREMARKABLE

Best Regards

Chiefhouse00

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

What is the range of motion? There isn't enough on here to say. Have you looked at the Spine rating criteria?

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/4.71a

CTRL F "Cervical"

• Community Owner
On 1/18/2024 at 7:39 AM, Chief1954 said:

Greetings

How would my service connected cervical spine be rated?

THERE IS REVERSAL OR NORMAL LORDOTIC CURVATURE OF CERVICAL SPINE WHICH MAY BE RELATED TO MUSCLE SPASM OR TRAUMA. HYPERTROPHIC CHANGES ARE SEEN IN THE CERVICAL SPINE. THERE IS NARROWING OF THE DISC SPACES BETWEEN C3 AND C5 AND POSTERIOR SPUR FORMATION IN MULTIPLE LEVELS. THESE FINDINGS INDICATE SPONDYLOSIS. PERIVERTEBRAL SOFT TISSUES ARE UNREMARKABLE

Best Regards

Chiefhouse00

Ahhh C3, C4, and C5 I know it well. I had the surgery in 2002. It was a good choice for me I came out of it with about 80% use and after 22 years I am at 75%. Not everyone has that a good results. It will all depend on what the chouse to rate you on and how. I think my big problem was the bone spur formations. (not including the one disk that was fused) As it is not service connected I can't help with what or how they will rate it as. 

§4.71a Schedule of ratings—musculoskeletal system._s4_71a (1).pdf

• HadIt.com Elder
8 hours ago, Rattler said:

Ahhh C3, C4, and C5 I know it well. I had the surgery in 2002. It was a good choice for me I came out of it with about 80% use and after 22 years I am at 75%. Not everyone has that a good results. It will all depend on what the chouse to rate you on and how. I think my big problem was the bone spur formations. (not including the one disk that was fused) As it is not service connected I can't help with what or how they will rate it as. 

§4.71a Schedule of ratings—musculoskeletal system._s4_71a (1).pdf 180.94 kB · 0 downloads

Spurs follow jumps.  As in paratrooper or jumping out of helicopters.  Lower back and cervical primarily.  Just the constant vibration of a helicopter and setting it down hard is also enough.  The cartilage covering part of the vertebrae that the spurs grow from is damaged causing the calcium deposits that become spurs.

Physical therapy for spurs is the opposite that for herniated discs.  Compression for spurs and traction for herniated discs.

See my disclaimers.  I am not a doctor.

Chief: I have open case at the BVA for that, I am fuse from C4 to C7, I was a ch 46 crew chief with thousands of hours of flying and then 500 hrs on NVG's, so it will come down to range of motion, which i have 20%. And what cause your neck problem, need more help email me. Ken

• HadIt.com Elder

I am rated 20% for cervical spine disc disease.  Pain only.  Just beginning to experience arm range of motion.  No surgery.  Cause was a head injury with whiplash in 1969.  Did not connect to that MVA until 2003 when I noticed the mosquitos biting my left forearm which I had not been able to feel after the surgery on my left wrist from the same MVA and the physicians concluded the numbness was from the surgery pinching a nerve in the wrist.

There are a lot of people that develop the problem of spinal disc disease whether spurs or desiccated discs that are unaware they may have had herniated discs or the slow development of spurs since their service because of the items I mentioned above.  Hope some catch our conversation.

See my disclaimers.  I am not a doctor.

• HadIt.com Elder
2 hours ago, Ken Dillon said:

Chief: I have open case at the BVA for that, I am fuse from C4 to C7, I was a ch 46 crew chief with thousands of hours of flying and then 500 hrs on NVG's, so it will come down to range of motion, which i have 20%. And what cause your neck problem, need more help email me. Ken

Are you service connected, Ken?  My range of motion is much more than 20%.  Do not know what the rating charts will say about your situation.