Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression?

Rate this question

Vetrequest

Question

I am service-connected Left Knee 50% osteoarthritis, limitation of extension, 20% arthritis left knee and 10% Tinnitus.  I want to file a claim(s) for depression aggravated by my tinnitus and depression aggravated by my left knee.  I have a depression diagnoses in my private medical files do to knee pain.  The question I have is would I submit a claim for depression for both tinnitus and left knee pain or do I pick one.  My understanding is the VA doesn't rate for both (I don't know) and if this true how would I decide which one to pursue.  Asking for advice on what course of action I should take? 

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Vetrequest said:

I have a depression diagnoses in my private medical files do to knee pain. 

Since you already have a diagnoses of depression secondary to your service-connected disability in your medical records then that would be the easiest claim to file and be awarded. Always go by the medical evidence. 

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

You need not choose.  Simply apply for depression as direct and/or secondary to SC conditions.  

To get an award, a medical professional will need to opine that your depression "is at least as likely as not" related to your tinnitus and or knee pain."

Interestingly, about 10 years or so ago, VA published a booklet they took down on hearing loss.  They said that hearing loss causes depression.  They dont have that booklet posted anymore.  But, many psychiatrists/audiologists understand the link between poor communication from hearing loss and depression.  

Hellen Keller once explained it pretty well.  She was deaf and blind.  When asked if she could chose one or the other, she said she would like to hear over being able to see.  When asked "why", she explained that vision loss disconnects you from things, while hearing loss disconnects you from people.